[SOLVED] Will AMD or nVidia (or Intel?) launch a new, "modern", "just 1 slot" and "without massive energy needs" graphic card?

JBerto

Reputable
Apr 25, 2017
Hi all!!

What do you think?
I'm not a "hardcore gamer", and I really don't need Raytracing, I just want tu upgrade mi old low-end graphic card (nVida GT 1030) .
I only need a card to play FullHD (1080p) any modern game at "medium quality", that's all, I don´t need 4K, RTX, etc...

BUT... It´s impossible to find a 1 slot graphic card and that does not need a PSU greater than 350W

It seems that every graphic card nowadays need 2 slots, or use a massive heatsink and need tons of watts.

What happened to the "non-hardcore gamers" market?

Solution
hi, those non hardcore gamers can use integrated GPU inside CPU, both intel and amd offers them
market in low end is thin, thats why low end GPUs dissapeared from market

u can find some 75watts GPUs single slot editions
hereis some single slot cards, but cant find any seller available
hi, those non hardcore gamers can use integrated GPU inside CPU, both intel and amd offers them
market in low end is thin, thats why low end GPUs dissapeared from market

u can find some 75watts GPUs single slot editions
hereis some single slot cards, but cant find any seller available

Last edited:
Reactions: JBerto
Solution

JBerto

Reputable
Apr 25, 2017
Hmmmm... thank you both, Djoza and Kerberos!

XFX Radeon RX 550 4GB Slim Single Slot and Inno3D GTX 1650 Single Slot seems to be PERFECT!
The problem now is to find who sell it, hahahaha

Thanks for your help!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the other piece you are missing is that most pc's have no issue taking a double slot card. there is plenty of room in most any case for it.

the only time you need a small card is with a very small case. those are not designed for gaming systems anyway. there is a very small need for single slot cards that are not very very low end. as noted above the igp is enough for those type users hence the lack of space and low power psu's. they do what they are intended to do.

when you start trying to make a system do what it was not intended to do, then you start needing special pieces. the market is not big enough for those special pieces to justify any effort. there is no way to turn a 250w card into a 100w one anyway to shrink the cooling needs. it's just not possible based on physics.

so a card small enough to be single slot can't use much power, and therefore is not gonna be very strong.

that 1650 is probably as good as you'll find in single slot if you can find it to buy.

Hi all!!

What do you think?
I'm not a "hardcore gamer", and I really don't need Raytracing, I just want tu upgrade mi old low-end graphic card (nVida GT 1030) .
I only need a card to play FullHD (1080p) any modern game at "medium quality", that's all, I don´t need 4K, RTX, etc...

BUT... It´s impossible to find a 1 slot graphic card and that does not need a PSU greater than 350W

It seems that every graphic card nowadays need 2 slots, or use a massive heatsink and need tons of watts.

What happened to the "non-hardcore gamers" market?

that task has been left to iGPU? nvidia release GT1030 (which is rated at 30W) in 2017. they never release GT1030 successor after that.

InvalidError

Titan
that task has been left to iGPU? nvidia release GT1030 (which is rated at 30W) in 2017. they never release GT1030 successor after that.
The absolute lowest end skips a few generations between refreshes because they aren't worth the R&D time until the last update is getting too old for on-going support, which would be either when 1) Nvidia decides to not buy any more 16/12nm wafers to continue making them or 2) when TSMC quits making 16/12nm or 3) Nvidia decides to drop driver support. The first two options are unlikely to happen while 7nm wafers are still a hot commodity and the GT1030 isn't quite that old in terms of driver support, so the next 30-series GPUs might still be another two years away.

The absolute lowest end skips a few generations between refreshes because they aren't worth the R&D time until the last update is getting too old for on-going support, which would be either when 1) Nvidia decides to not buy any more 16/12nm wafers to continue making them or 2) when TSMC quits making 16/12nm or 3) Nvidia decides to drop driver support. The first two options are unlikely to happen while 7nm wafers are still a hot commodity and the GT1030 isn't quite that old in terms of driver support, so the next 30-series GPUs might still be another two years away.

personally i think GT1030 is more of a special case. GT1030 is more or less nvidia respond to AMD RX550. if AMD did not make RX550 nvidia probably will not going to make GT1030. that chip is more or less for the laptop market only. personally i'm still interested to see how fast the discrete GPU can be when power are limited to 75w only. plus i don't think iGPU will be able match fastest 75w GPU.

JBerto

Reputable
Apr 25, 2017
The truth is that my old nVidia GT 1030 silent (passive cooling) with 2GB GDDR5 with updated drivers is enough to play most of "not-too-new" games at 1080p in "medium quality".
I love GTA V and it's perfectly playable.

The PC is an also old Dell Optiplex 5040 with a CPU i5-6500, 16GB Ram, and a SSD M.2

It has a 300w PSU and everything is almost absolutelly silent.

...but I just wanted and "extra-boost" to be capable to play modern games (at 1080 and low quality), or at high quality for "not so modern" games, without having to upgrade ALL my PC (impossible for a DELL), or having to buy a new PC.

Based on your answers, I think a GTX 1650 will be PERFECT... but is really hard to find one!!!!!!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have a 1650 super and have no issues at 1080p for "not so new" games. a 1650 should be fine for what you are thinking if you can find one. i don't play any of the shooters and such but what i do play has no problem at all. for instance i easily hit 144 fps in project cars 3 at medium settings and the new PGA game set itself at ultra settings.

good luck finding one. as noted by the site a few days ago, new tariffs just went into place so prices will be going up even more. no telling when this is all gonna end and we can just buy a freakin part again. but for now, there is very little to buy and it is expensive when you do find one.

i actually saw a ryzen 5600x for sale yesterday in stock. it was $449. i'd love to string these people up by their big toes but........

InvalidError

Titan
personally i think GT1030 is more of a special case. GT1030 is more or less nvidia respond to AMD RX550. if AMD did not make RX550 nvidia probably will not going to make GT1030.
That makes little sense when IGPs are nearly as fast. Those mainly exist for people who need a dGPU no matter how weak, usually because their CPU lacks an IGP or is ancient and not worth throwing anything better at. For laptops, it is mostly a waste of space, power and budget.

That makes little sense when IGPs are nearly as fast.

but back in 2017 the likes of GT1030 or RX550 still a significant step up from any IGP available at the time.

Those mainly exist for people who need a dGPU no matter how weak

it is one of the reason.

For laptops, it is mostly a waste of space, power and budget.

and yet they still exist. this is what being used on nvidia MX series.