[SOLVED] Will an eGPU work with my laptop ?

Jan 31, 2021
so i have a sony vaio and i wanted better performance on it so i am deciding to get an egpu so will it work with my laptop ?

and yes it is old

Thanks

Solution
If you are doing this with gaming in mind you're going to be disappointed. Yes, you can get higher FPS on the GPU side but your CPU gets slammed from the added load and the entire process on an i3 can be rather unpredictable and downright frustrating to get working. The VPC series has a PGA socket so it's possible the CPU could be upgraded but I haven't come across anyone trying on the lower-cost units.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Yes but it's not going to be a simple process.
  • Cost around $200
  • Replaces Wifi Card with Adapter and leaves a cable hanging out of the chassis
  • Plenty of Trail and error with a good amount of reading
  • Gives a slight performance increase but your still bottlenecked by the expansion limitation and the CPU.
I've done this before and it was a headache, yes there was an FPS gain but it didn't translate to enough for the cost. :spamafote:

Jan 31, 2021
Yes but it's not going to be a simple process.
  • Cost around $200
  • Replaces Wifi Card with Adapter and leaves a cable hanging out of the chassis
  • Plenty of Trail and error with a good amount of reading
  • Gives a slight performance increase but your still bottlenecked by the expansion limitation and the CPU.
I've done this before and it was a headache, yes there was an FPS gain but it didn't translate to enough for the cost. :spamafote:
i am using a express card to hdmi dock thing because i have an old laptop and i am getting a gt 710 so it costs abt 150 pound. i was just wondering if it gives more fps and would this work without any problems

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
If you are doing this with gaming in mind you're going to be disappointed. Yes, you can get higher FPS on the GPU side but your CPU gets slammed from the added load and the entire process on an i3 can be rather unpredictable and downright frustrating to get working. The VPC series has a PGA socket so it's possible the CPU could be upgraded but I haven't come across anyone trying on the lower-cost units.

Last edited:
Solution
Once you start adding external devices to a laptop, you destroy the intent of a laptop which is portability.

If the laptop does not need portability, you can do more, cheaper, with a desktop.

Not really good to buy a "gaming" laptop with high end components.
Such units run hot and throttle.

Reactions: Krotow
Jan 31, 2021
OP, don't bother with that laptop. It is capable to run Solitaire and Lines, but for decent AAA games you must have something newer. With at least decent Intel CPU with at least GTX1660 GPU or with AMD 4xxxH/HS CPU.
im only trying to play roblox and want better frames lol rn with intel hd graphics i have 20fps
will the external gpu help maybe 20more fps?