Will an i5 6500 Bottleneck GTX 1070?

Michael_539

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Will i5 6500 Bottleneck GTX 1070? and if yes how worse it is?

I will be playing at 1080p , i want to buy the 1070 because i know i can't buy a new card within 3-4 more years , the 1060 is my 2nd option but it's lack of future proof because i feel like it can't handle anymore new release games within the nxt 2 years..

Thanks in advance.

Solution
For the most part no, but there are exceptions of course. There are some incredibly CPU intensive games out there right now, but they'd be pushing any CPU to the limits anyway. I wouldn't really worry about it unless there's a specific game like Battlefield 1 you're dead set at running with maxed out settings.

You may want to wait until next month to make a decision though. See how the Vega release goes and how much impact it may have on pricing. Nvidia has already started dropping prices which is a good sign.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah go the GTX 1070 if you want to go as long as possible without upgrading on 1080p, if you change your mind the card would be great at 1440p later as well. If you don't stick with the GTX 1070 for any reason i'd grab a RX 480 over the GTX 1060 for lasting longer. Radeon cards have undoubtedly longer driver support and performance improvements as well as better performance in newer APIs that will be used more in coming years (DirectX 12 and Vulkan). Additionally, it has 2GB more VRAM (if you got the 8GB) which although is way more than enough for now is still something you should look at if you are looking for a GPU to last many years. Hope this helps :)

As for the i5, you should be fine for a few years, i know people running the new Pentium G4560 in builds with GTX 1060/RX 480 and they can handle any games just fine. Just be wary of a few intense/unoptimized games, for example Star Citizen pushes my OC'd i7-6700K to 60-70% often which is insane*.

For the most part no, but there are exceptions of course. There are some incredibly CPU intensive games out there right now, but they'd be pushing any CPU to the limits anyway. I wouldn't really worry about it unless there's a specific game like Battlefield 1 you're dead set at running with maxed out settings.

You may want to wait until next month to make a decision though. See how the Vega release goes and how much impact it may have on pricing. Nvidia has already started dropping prices which is a good sign.

Solution

Michael_539

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

Hi thanks man :) 1 more question for a game like battlefield 1 as u said how worse fps drop will i experience?

Michael_539

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

Thanks man :) Zen R5 has just been announced :) i probably go with the zen cpu..

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah that's not a bad idea at all, Ryzen 7's launch has been a little lacking in gaming performance compared to the i7s but they claim to be fixing it and it's workstation performance has been doing exceptionally for the price. I would also wait and see how Ryzen 5 goes, great to see the competition ramping up! :D