[SOLVED] Will an i5 6600K bottleneck a rtx 2060?

Jan 28, 2019
I am planning to upgrade my r9 390 to rtx 2060, I have not been able to find enough information about that gpu. Will I have a bottleneck with an i5 6600k? At bottneck calculator, that CPU is not recommended for a1070 ti (my second option), much less a 2080. I only planing to play at 1080p.

My current PC:

GPU: Gigabyte R9 390
CPU: i5 6600k
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 2 x 8 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270P D3
PSU: EVGA Super Nova 850 G1 + 850W
Storage: 1 SSD 512GB, 2 HDD 1TB
Monitor: ASUS VG278

Solution
Bottleneck calculator is junk science.
Your I5-6600K is still a very competent processor.
Have you overclocked it a bit?

A graphics upgrade is usually the best path for fast action games.

Run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If in doubt as to which card for the upgrade, buy the strongest that your wallet and conscience will allow.
A GTX1080 class card at least.
You want to see a significant jump in performance.
Anything less and you will be forever wondering.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I find bottleneck calculators to be next to useless personally.

It depends on the game. In a modern CPU heavy title like say AC Odyssey or BF5 it will hold back a 2060 somewhat at 1080p however im sure they will be perfectly playable. In games that aren't very cpu heavy or older games say GTA V it may not hold back a 2060 at all.

Bottleneck calculator is junk science.
Your I5-6600K is still a very competent processor.
Have you overclocked it a bit?

A graphics upgrade is usually the best path for fast action games.

Run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If in doubt as to which card for the upgrade, buy the strongest that your wallet and conscience will allow.
A GTX1080 class card at least.
You want to see a significant jump in performance.
Anything less and you will be forever wondering.

Solution
Jan 28, 2019
Hi guys. Thanks for the answers. Lesson learned: never trust bottleneck calculators.

Update here: I decided to buy the gpu (evga xc gaming) and I could not be more satisfied, definitely the i5 6600k will be a good companion a couple of years more.

gpu: http://oi65.tinypic.com/206epzq.jpg

I leave a small sample with witcher 3, in high resolution with r9 390 the most I could get was 75 fps and in ultra resolution with luck I reached 50.

High (rtx 2060): http://oi64.tinypic.com/2upe845.jpg

Ultra (rtx 2060): http://oi68.tinypic.com/2w7nvpi.jpg

I have not yet done the configurations or profiles for the gpu, such as increasing the speed of the fan and being able to control the temperature, it is a bit high to be new, although it is acceptable since this version only has one fan and sometimes the thermal paste that they bring from the factory is not of the best quality, but it is something that I will solve soon. Thanks again. P.D. Sorry for my english..

Jan 28, 2019

Not overclocked yet.

Definitely this test influenced my purchase decision. Thank you.