[SOLVED] Will an I7-7700k bottleneck a RTX 3070

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
I've seen a lot of conflicting information about this, with people telling me that a I7 7700k will bottleneck a 3070 by a huge amount, people saying it'll slightly bottleneck and people saying it wont bottleneck at all if I overclock it.

I'm wondering for a solid answer with my specs, I dont really want to overclock my 7700k if possible as I've never overclocked a CPU before.

I'll mainly be playing at 2560x1440 (1440p) with a 144Hz monitor as I know different resolutions can change the bottleneck percentage.

Solution
Is your cpu capable of giving you 144fps in games you play without maximizing out? Lower details/resolution if need so you can reach 144fps and then monitor cpu usage. Your 1080Ti should get you close enough.

This will give you an idea of how much further, in terms of fps, your cpu is capable of supplying a faster card that is able to render more fps in higher details.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is your cpu capable of giving you 144fps in games you play without maximizing out? Lower details/resolution if need so you can reach 144fps and then monitor cpu usage. Your 1080Ti should get you close enough.

This will give you an idea of how much further, in terms of fps, your cpu is capable of supplying a faster card that is able to render more fps in higher details.

Last edited:
Solution

mcle

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
There are a few benchmark videos out now with 3080s and low end Ryzen CPUs. Have a look, but your 7700k shouldn't be a massive bottleneck. But you'll naturally have a lower FPS than if you had a 10900k