[SOLVED] Will an Intel 4390k cpu bottleneck RTX3080 ? If so then how much?

Oct 1, 2020
I am thinking of upgrading just my GPU and I am really worried if my CPU is gonna heavily bottleneck my GPU

My current Setup:
core i7 4390k
64 GB corsair DDR3 Rams
1000W PSU
2 x 2Tb SSD Samsung Evo

Solution
Do you mean an i7-4930K? There's no 4390K.

What's the PSU? I can't ethically give any GPU advice without the exact PSU.

There will be likely some bottlenecking, especially in games that aren't particularly well-threaded. Having 6 cores/12 threads is useful, but single-core performance is getting significantly behind recent CPUs.

DSzymborski

Titan
Do you mean an i7-4930K? There's no 4390K.

What's the PSU? I can't ethically give any GPU advice without the exact PSU.

There will be likely some bottlenecking, especially in games that aren't particularly well-threaded. Having 6 cores/12 threads is useful, but single-core performance is getting significantly behind recent CPUs.

Reactions: LeadRX
Solution
If you are rendering and Unreal is using the GPU to accelerate, I would think that the system would be GPU bound, not CPU bound. At a certain point the CPU wont be able to feed the GPU but I don't think the 4930 will hit that mark if unreal is GPU accelerated as the load is almost entirely shifted to the GPU. It's not something I do so take that advice with a handful of salt.

What is your current GPU? And what happens when you are rendering in terms of percentage load on the GPU and CPU when you are rendering?

For the record, I think you could take your money farther by getting some used server hardware (dual 8core xeons 64gb ram and a used quadro card) for about the same as getting a 3080. Do your design work on your current system and then send it to the server for rendering. Maybe the flow in UE doesn't allow for that...but a core upgrade is probably a more worthy use of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeadRX
Oct 1, 2020
@grimfox I am currently running 2x980ti but when I render the cpu usually doesn't reach 100% cpu. I am looking at RTX development pipelines where I can take my renders another step better.
What do you suggest?

It's not my field of expertise. I think you might want to change the direction of your questioning. I would create a new thread with a title along the lines of "Best upgrade for unreal engine development and rendering" then post your current specs and your budget. Probably in the systems board. Then explain your goal. IE "I'd like to be able to use RTX lighting effects and I am thinking of getting a RTX3080. Is that the best thing I can do for my budget?" Of course tailor your new thread to your specific situation. Details can be very useful.

By doing these things I think you will draw in the right people with experience using UE and doing what you are doing. You might also find out that not many people on this forum know how best to help you. It's pretty gaming centric here which is why you got some misleading posts earlier.

Good luck.

I am thinking of upgrading just my GPU and I am really worried if my CPU is gonna heavily bottleneck my GPU

My current Setup:
core i7 4390k
64 GB corsair DDR3 Rams
1000W PSU
2 x 2Tb SSD Samsung Evo

How blue is the sky?

The point is its subjective and varies by game and resolution. 1080p will certainly be bottlenecked by your cpu.

4k will be closer to a modern day cpu, but those older architectures have a tendency to stutter.

My current Setup:
core i7 4390k
64 GB corsair DDR3 Rams
1000W PSU
2 x 2Tb SSD Samsung Evo
It really depends on the game and what your target resolution, image quality settings, and FPS are. If you're targeting 60 FPS high at 1080p, there's really no point in getting an RTX 3080, or even an RTX 3070. You should wait for an RTX 3060 or heck, just get an RTX 2060 Super or 2070 Super.

If you're targeting 4K 60FPS ultra quality, then you may have a case here for getting one, but performance will definitely drop off in games with a lot of activity going on once it gets going.

TRENDING THREADS