[SOLVED] Will an RTX 2060 work with an i7-4790 (non k)

May 13, 2019
Hi ! I'm interested by an RTX 2060 instead of my GTX 970.

My goal is to reach the max FPS amount I can in games like : Hitman 2 (then 3), Total War Warhammer 2 (then 3), Mordhau, Borderlands 3, The Witcher 3... In the best quality I can (Ultra if possible).

CURRENT GPU: GTX 970 OC 4GB

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i7-4790 (non k), 8Go RAM (I plan to add 8 more if necessary)

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1680x1050 60Hz (I don't plan to change it, but what about this ?)

Thank you for your advices !

Solution
The monitor is that important for my configuration ?

Yes, the resolution also matters a lot, when it comes to any GPU upgrade. Problem is, the RTX 2060 is sort of overkill for "1680x1050 60Hz" screen, at least in my opinion. Any other lower mid-range GPU might also work on your RIG, if you want to save some cash.

But this doesn't mean you cannot play games on the RTX 2060, but in order for the GPU to be fully utilized, we need a higher resolution screen. The lower the resolution, the more games are going to be mostly CPU-bound. As you increase the resolution to 2K/4K, games are going to be more GPU-intensive.

It all depends on the game being played though. Anyways, you can buy the RTX card if you wish. When you pan to...
May 13, 2019
Well, I think the GPU would enhance the FPS and the quality on most of these games. I 'd have say the monitor was the second thing to change. The monitor is that important for my configuration ?

The monitor is that important for my configuration ?

Yes, the resolution also matters a lot, when it comes to any GPU upgrade. Problem is, the RTX 2060 is sort of overkill for "1680x1050 60Hz" screen, at least in my opinion. Any other lower mid-range GPU might also work on your RIG, if you want to save some cash.

But this doesn't mean you cannot play games on the RTX 2060, but in order for the GPU to be fully utilized, we need a higher resolution screen. The lower the resolution, the more games are going to be mostly CPU-bound. As you increase the resolution to 2K/4K, games are going to be more GPU-intensive.

It all depends on the game being played though. Anyways, you can buy the RTX card if you wish. When you pan to upgrade your monitor in near future, then this card might help you with your gaming needs.

Solution