Jul 17, 2020
Hello, I'm considering upgrading my PC's GPU to an RTX 2070 Super or maybe an RTX 3000 series card if they do come out soon. My budget is ~$500

I'm concerned my PC rig may not pose an issue to this, however. My specs are as follows:

-i5-6400 @2.7 GHz 4 cores
-16 gb of ram @ 2133 MHz
-1 tb SSD + 1 tb HDD
-750 Watt PSU
-Alienware 01NYPT motherboard
-Geforce GTX 970 4gb (I hope to sell this after getting a new GPU tho)

Should I be worried about incompatibility or extreme bottle-necking with my current specs?

I want my next GPU to last me for the next four years. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
What is the make and model of the psu?

There are a few AAA games that run poorly on a quad core/thread cpu regardless of gpu choice. This is only going to get more common in the future.

What is the aim here? If you are happy with your FPS but want to run higher game settings or resolution then this should be ok. However if you want to run higher FPS then the cpu may limit any gains you see but this is game dependent.

There are a few AAA games that run poorly on a quad core/thread cpu regardless of gpu choice. This is only going to get more common in the future.

What is the aim here? If you are happy with your FPS but want to run higher game settings or resolution then this should be ok. However if you want to run higher FPS then the cpu may limit any gains you see but this is game dependent.

Solution
Jul 17, 2020

My PSU is an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5 80 Plus gold.

My monitor is 2560x1080 & 75hrz so if it’s in that FPS range, I’m good.

I just want my games to run smoothly and at ultra settings. I don’t plan to play at 4K, 144 FPS, or even with RTX on for that matter

I'm with sizzling here 100%

For increased graphics settings a GPU upgrade would be good irregardless, the 970 seems to have died a death performance wise with newer titles in all honesty.
I know that beacuse I own one as well as a rx 580, which has aged boundless amounts better.

Your i5 will not see you out for 4 years though, the age of quad cores is all but dead now.

Keep an eye out for an i5 6700/6700k on the cheap if you can.

Your main issue is that is an alienware prebuilt??

You need to know what psu it's running in there before you consider a GPU upgrade

I just want my games to run smoothly and at ultra settings. I don’t plan to play at 4K, 144 FPS, or even with RTX on for that matter
Are you happy the FPS you get in your games?

There are a few games I know of that would struggle to average 60fps with your cpu and 1 game that would probably be in the 30’s and see dips into 20’s. However other games will run well. If you want to play the latest AAA games it won’t be long before you want/need to upgrade your cpu.

Jul 17, 2020

I'm with sizzling here 100%

For increased graphics settings a GPU upgrade would be good irregardless, the 970 seems to have died a death performance wise with newer titles in all honesty.
I know that beacuse I own one as well as a rx 580, which has aged boundless amounts better.

Your i5 will not see you out for 4 years though, the age of quad cores is all but dead now.

Keep an eye out for an i5 6700/6700k on the cheap if you can.

Your main issue is that is an alienware prebuilt??

You need to know what psu it's running in there before you consider a GPU upgrade

Thanks for the info, hopefully I can get a new cpu in a couple years when I’ve got more money. I’m entering my freshman year in college so I’m not trying to upgrade everything all at once.

My PSU isn’t an issue as I’ve swapped it out for a fully modular 750 watt EVGA one.

You can run a 2070 super fine then.

My main issue is that i5 holding it back a fair bit in some titles.

Another issue is the newer cards from both amd and nvidia are due out late 2020.

And another issue (not really an issue) is the amd 5700xt.

Its available for less than $400, the 2070 super is $500.

Performance is so close as to make it negligible, on your system you wouldn't see any performance difference whatsoever.

Jul 9, 2020
Im no pro here but If you’re playing 1080 at 75hz And not on 2k you def don’t need a rtx2070s. I got my rtx2070s and love it but I’m playing warzone and rocket at 2k 120hz