Question will an rx 470 8gb work with 400W psu ?

realimad12

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
hello guys so the title says it all
for the specs : i5 4590 3.3 ghz
8GB 2X4 ram
500 hdd
no rgb
for the PSU it's a coolermaster V3 400
thanks <3

AMD recommends a minimum 450 WATTS decent/high-quality PSU for the RX 470. That EVGA model is not the very best though. You might need an upgrade. Is that an ELITE model from EVGA Cooler Master ? It might work on your system, but I won't recommend this particular PSU model.

That CM EVGA PSU is low-end, just a basic power supply unit.

Last edited:

realimad12

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
AMD recommends a minimum 450 WATTS decent/high-quality PSU for the RX 470. That EVGA model is not the very best though. You might need an upgrade. Is that an ELITE model from EVGA ? It might work on your system, but I won't recommend this particular PSU model.

That EVGA PSU is low-end, just a basic power supply unit.
No no it isn't EVGA it's coolermaster

realimad12

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Ah yes....That was actually a typo error from my side. Kindly ignore, as that was silly on my part. It's a Cooler Master, but like I said before, that model is not the very best though.
ooh thanks for the quick reply , um so what do u recommend me ? (i don't wanna mess with the psu and buy a new one)
a rx470 4gb ? (if it works)
or a 1650 4gb ?
i had a 1060 3gb before it was good but it sttuters a lot cuz of the vram so i sold it

Apr 15, 2019
The only reason you'd be having vram issues is with higher resolution. You'd actually lose fps downgrading to the 470/570 from a 1060-3Gb. My gtx970 almost never sees over 3Gb usage unless I'm running 4k DSR at 1080p
Well i checked the benchmarks and. It's only 5-10 fps, i'd rather play with 10 fps less with stable perfomance then more fps with sttuters

@realimad12,

Are those the only two video cards you want to upgrade to ? Between those 2 GPUs, I would recommend going for the GTX 1650, if you don't have the budget to upgrade to a more powerful GPU. It's more power efficient, and the minimum PSU required is 300 Watts. That's what Nvidia claims on their website though.

Even though some of the 1650 models GTX 1650 do not require any additional power connector, and its power draw is rated at 75 W maximum, few TECH sites are mentioning a 350~400 Watt power supply unit, as the minimum.

I think some AIB custom GPUs might require a SINGLE 6-PIN PCI-e cable though, but I'm not fully sure. But I checked TechPowerUp's database, and some models do require a 6-PIN connector..

Apr 15, 2019
@realimad12,

Are those the only two video cards you want to upgrade to ? Between those 2 GPUs, I would recommend going for the GTX 1650, if you don't have the budget to upgrade to a more powerful GPU. It's more power efficient, and the minimum PSU required is 300 Watts. That's what Nvidia claims on their website though.

Even though some of the 1650 models GTX 1650 do not require any additional power connector, and its power draw is rated at 75 W maximum, few TECH sites are mentioning a 350~400 Watt power supply unit, as the minimum.

I think some AIB custom GPUs might require a SINGLE 6-PIN PCI-e cable though, but I'm not fully sure. But I checked TechPowerUp's database, and some models do require a 6-PIN connector..
Yeap i geuss they are the only ones that don't require more than 400w
Yea. Ik 1650 won't cause problems because it only draws 75 w, the 6 pin isn't a problem i have a 6pin and a 2 pin just in case

Reactions: Metal Messiah.