Question Will an SSD upgrade save me buying a new laptop?

ngreed86

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
I'm trying to resuscitate my old laptop to save buying a new one. It's a HP Pavilion G6 2210sa, has a 3rd gen i5 and 6GB of memory, works ok but really slow. If I changed out the 1tb HD for an SSD do you think this would speed it up enough to stop me having buying a new one or are the base specs too low?

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
As long as you use MS Office, surf the web, play old games or watch videos, yes. Boot time and program launching time will be significantly reduced. Antivirus scan operation will run much faster, and so on.

HP Pavilion G6 laptops are in the same group. According to this thread on hp's forum, you may want to get a reliable 2.5" 7mm or 9.5mm SATA SSD, like Samsung 860 EVO, Corsair, WD Blue or Crucial MX500 with 250GB capacity or higher. (Please read the accepted answer on that page.)

You can upgrade the RAM up to 8GB DDR3 as the laptop specifications says, too.

ngreed86

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for your help. Would the extra 2GB of memory make much of a difference? Assume I would just swap out the 2GB to a 4GB version rather than swapping the whole memory or will there be compatibility issues?

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Thanks for your help. Would the extra 2GB of memory make much of a difference? Assume I would just swap out the 2GB to a 4GB version rather than swapping the whole memory or will there be compatibility issues?

Don't mention it.
Yes, you need to get proper RAM sticks for your laptop. Most likely it is 1.35v and CL=11 at 1333MHz.
You can simply make sure by checking Crucial compatible upgrades for your laptop.

If you want to confirm it manually, you need to know the required RAM voltage, CAS latency and the frequency which can be found out by installing CPU-Z and checking SPD tab.

CPU-Z will give you detailed information about your laptop, say, number of slots, amount of RAM installed on each slot, CPU model and many more.

Last edited:

Alpha39401

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
From my personal experience, I would say SSD upgrades on slower laptops are very likely to improve user experience noticeably. My previous laptop is an Acer Aspire with an A8 APU and R5 graphics card. The stock HDD and OS was full of bloatware and Chrome takes forever to launch. After a cheap SSD upgrade and a Windows 10 clean install it went from barely usable to decently quick!