Will and i7920 at 2.66 bottleneck x2GTX580 SLI?

sedriss

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hi right now i have a gtx580 and i want to get another one. Im going to have to buy another power supply and a new motherboard. Im playing the BF3 beta and getting 45fps average at 1080p... Thats no good i want steady 60fps Will i be able to achieve this with another gtx580? Or will my cpu not be able to handle?

Solution
It would seem that your cpu is ok for the game.
You could OC a bit if you wanted, it can be done conservatively and easily on a 920.

Your graphics is about as good as it gets for a single gpu.

If you really wanted better graphics, I see two choices.

1) Sell your GTX580 and replace it with a GTX590. They are hard to find though.

2) Or, get a second GTX580 for sli. You will need a psu in the 850-950w range. I see no reason why you can't do that on most any X58 motherboard.

Good question.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your game, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

Do you have the ability to OC your 920 a bit? 3.0 should not be hard.

If you think you need a new motherboard, it is time to abandon the i7-920 and go sandy bridge.

sedriss

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Ok thx ill try the resolution thing. I have no idea how to overclock though, i dont think im comfortable doing that. And how do i lower my cpu power in windows?

control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management then change maximum processor state from 100% to perhaps 70%

For most X58 motherboards, all you need to do is raise the BCLK number in the bios from 20 to gradually increasingly larger numbers.
Test stability running prime95, and check that temps are ok with speedfan or realtemp.

sedriss

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
I think im too much of a noob to overclock, im scared of breaking my computer lol. And why should i not use a 920 on a new motherboard which i will have to get because i dont think i have 2 slots for the video cards. Also is 16GB of dual channel ram overkill?

There are some more variables, since you are trying the beta.
1) It is possible that the code will be optimized by release date.
2) Graphics drivers will need to be adjusted for the game. Multi gpu drivers usually take a bit longer to get fully developed.
It might be best to wait for the full release to decide what you want to do.

That said, if money is not a major concern, I would consider going to a sandy bridge 2500K system.
Yes, the "K" is for overclocking, but you get 4.0 as a trivial overclock, and the efficiency is some 20% better than the 920.

Why do you think you might need a new motherboard? X58 boards I know of can handle sli nicely.

What motherboard do you have now?

8gb is plenty, unless you have some 64 bit enabled apps like photoshop.
No game will use more than 2 or 3gb.

That said, ram is cheap, and w7-home can support up to 16gb. I see no downside.

A X58 motherboard will usually have 6 slots, allowing triple channel operqtion.. 16gb is a strange size to get.

sedriss

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Ok so i came back from work booted up the game and now some games the fps is at 60-80 and sometimes on a different server it goes to 45, same amount of players same map and same area of the map so idk whats going on. This is with 1080p and all settings on ultra.

Now if i lower the resolution way down and change all settings to low my fps will go between 100-140 outdoors and up too 170+ indoors. Lowering cpu to 70% did pretty much nothing on low or high settings.

Also my motherboard is an MSI X58 gold (MS-7522). So with all that do i need to get a new board? Should i get a better cpu or another 580 if its one or the other? And what type of ram and how much should i get? Keep in mind i wanna be able to run pretty much all AAA titles at max like skyrim etc... except for mayby multisampling.

It would seem that your cpu is ok for the game.
You could OC a bit if you wanted, it can be done conservatively and easily on a 920.

Your graphics is about as good as it gets for a single gpu.

If you really wanted better graphics, I see two choices.

1) Sell your GTX580 and replace it with a GTX590. They are hard to find though.

2) Or, get a second GTX580 for sli. You will need a psu in the 850-950w range. I see no reason why you can't do that on most any X58 motherboard.

Solution