[SOLVED] Will another 8gb 2400mhz help performance

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
For my brother's PC, I originally wanted to get 3000mhz RAM (ddr4) but due to complications with the order I had to settle on 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance. He pretty much only plays Fortnite competitively and obviously wants to get as many frames as possible, but still seems to be getting less than me (i7 4790, 16gb 1600mhz). It is not a GPU issue as changing graphics options does not help. Will adding another stick help at all? It will be running in dual channel.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600
8gb 2400mhz
GTX 1060 6GB
500gb WD m.2 SSD
Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H

Solution
Reactions: laptop-Tech
Solution

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Also running single channel significantly hurt performance as well. AS I suggested in my other post in case you missed it, I would sell the stick of RAM you currently have and buy a dual channel kit of 3200mhz or faster. You dont need anything fancy so something like this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/D6RFf7/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8gvkb

of if you want to go with 16GB

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb

Ok cheers. If I just get another 2400mhz stick will that be significantly worse than getting a 3200mhz kit? It will be the same brand and frequency.

I don't want to go with 2x 4gb since 8gb won't be enough in a few years and it won't be as easy to upgrade.

Ok cheers. If I just get another 2400mhz stick will that be significantly worse than getting a 3200mhz kit? It will be the same brand and frequency.

I don't want to go with 2x 4gb since 8gb won't be enough in a few years and it won't be as easy to upgrade.

Yes, there is a significant performance hit running at 2400mhz with Ryzen, anywhere between 5 and 10%. You also might run into compatibility issues, the RAM may not work together or give you stability issues. RAM is sold in sets of modules that have been matched at the factory to work.

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Yes, there is a significant performance hit running at 2400mhz with Ryzen, anywhere between 5 and 10%. You also might run into compatibility issues, the RAM may not work together or give you stability issues. RAM is sold in sets of modules that have been matched at the factory to work.

Ok that kinda sucks. Just to clarify, there is no reason to put a single 8gb stick to upgrade in the future since it will not work as well if you add another one not from the same kit (but the same brand and frequency)? I always thought it was fine as long as they have the same frequency. I have 2 random 8gb 1600mhz sticks in my pc and it works fine.

Ok that kinda sucks. Just to clarify, there is no reason to put a single 8gb stick to upgrade in the future since it will not work as well if you add another one not from the same kit (but the same brand and frequency)? I always thought it was fine as long as they have the same frequency. I have 2 random 8gb 1600mhz sticks in my pc and it works fine.

I'm not saying it wont work, but it may very likely not work or give you unexplained stability issues. Every generation of RAM seems to be more reliant on matching pairs to not have issues.

Yes running dual channel will help, but IMO investing in more 2400mhz isn't worth it. Just save up and get yourself a 3200mhz kit I linked and sell the stuff you have for 30 or so bucks and in the long run its a far better investment.

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
I'm not saying it wont work, but it may very likely not work or give you unexplained stability issues. Every generation of RAM seems to be more reliant on matching pairs to not have issues.

Yes running dual channel will help, but IMO investing in more 2400mhz isn't worth it. Just save up and get yourself a 3200mhz kit I linked and sell the stuff you have for 30 or so bucks and in the long run its a far better investment.

Ok thanks :)