[SOLVED] Will any 3200Mhz Ram work on a Gigabyte A320M-S2H ?

Apr 9, 2020
Hello guys! I currently have a Gigabyte A320M-S2H motherboard and I'm thinking of buying a Hyperx Fury RGB 8GB 3200Mhz. I also have a Ryzen 7 1800x in my system. I know that this MB can run 3200Mhz (O.C) Rams, as it says on the "RAM specifications". But I tried checking the Ram support list and couldn't find out this RAM. Do you guys think any 3200Mhz Ram can run in my system ?

Solution
Well, firstly I'd like to thank you for helping. To be honest I'm not very experienced to the point of messing around with BIOS, I still need some more time to research and all. My main concern is that the RAM will not work at all.

I can understand that. Your new RAM will almost certainly work at least at default DDR4 clocks...which is 2133...even if not selected from the QVL. It would be very likely to also work up to 2400 and maybe even a 1st gen processor's rated speed of 2666.

Buying off the QVL may be a good strategy, especially for a new motherboard, to have a higher assurance a RAM kit will work at higher than stock clocks and especially by just enabling XMP and going for it. But one problem is mfr's may not...
Hello guys! I currently have a Gigabyte motherboard and I'm thinking of buying a Hyperx Fury RGB 8GB 3200Mhz. I also have a Ryzen 7 1800x
It can be sketchy getting 3200 Mhz, or over, on any 1st gen CPU and probably one reason why you don't see it on the QVL. They are rated only to 2666, after all. First is to make sure you're running a BIOS with AGESA 1006....that would be ver F24 I think. That won't make it a shoe-in but it's better memory support maximizes your chances.

I absolutely wouldn't expect it to work with just enabling XMP and going for it though. You're going to almost certainly have to tweak timings to hit 3200. Use Ryzen DRAM Calculator to help calculate the timings. Here's a great tutorial on how to use it.

Keep in mind that success completely depends on the quality of the memory controller in your specific CPU so you may not be able to get 3200 no matter what you do. But you might be able to get 2933 or even 3000 which is not going to be very much different performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: nemetala
Apr 9, 2020
It can be sketchy getting 3200 Mhz, or over, on any 1st gen CPU and probably one reason why you don't see it on the QVL. They are rated only to 2666, after all. First is to make sure you're running a BIOS with AGESA 1006....that would be ver F24 I think. That won't make it a shoe-in but it's better memory support maximizes your chances.

I absolutely wouldn't expect it to work with just enabling XMP and going for it though. You're going to almost certainly have to tweak timings to hit 3200. Use Ryzen DRAM Calculator to help calculate the timings. Here's a great tutorial on how to use it.

Keep in mind that success completely depends on the quality of the memory controller in your specific CPU so you may not be able to get 3200 no matter what you do. But you might be able to get 2933 or even 3000 which is not going to be very much different performance.
Well, firstly I'd like to thank you for helping. To be honest I'm not very experienced to the point of messing around with BIOS, I still need some more time to research and all. My main concern is that the RAM will not work at all. I've ordered and paid it already but just after concluding the purchase I started to ask questions about it's compatibility (Dumb, I know). I'm waiting for the RAMs to arrive. I wonder if it's worth trying sticking in, even if I'm running at 2400Mhz, to see if I keep it for future upgrades or I return it to the store without opening it and study more to find a compatible RAM first. The real reason why I'm buying more memory is to be able to play COD Warzone on PC, and other games that I'm having FPS stutter. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Apr 9, 2020
As pointed out using RAM that is not on the QVL list with 1st Gen Ryzens can be a hit or miss situation. You can increase the chances of RAM working by updating the BIO to the highest recommend version for your CPU.
Would you recommend me any tutorial on how to do this or updating BIOS is a common and easy thing to do ?

Well, firstly I'd like to thank you for helping. To be honest I'm not very experienced to the point of messing around with BIOS, I still need some more time to research and all. My main concern is that the RAM will not work at all.

I can understand that. Your new RAM will almost certainly work at least at default DDR4 clocks...which is 2133...even if not selected from the QVL. It would be very likely to also work up to 2400 and maybe even a 1st gen processor's rated speed of 2666.

Buying off the QVL may be a good strategy, especially for a new motherboard, to have a higher assurance a RAM kit will work at higher than stock clocks and especially by just enabling XMP and going for it. But one problem is mfr's may not update their QVL's for older motherboards as new RAM kits are released, and they also might not update them for older RAM kits as newer AGESA's are released. So you're frequently left uncertain when looking for high clock speed memory that's newer than the motherboard

As for me, I've never had success getting a RAM kit to it's highest rated clock just by enabling XMP even if selected from the QVL. And in contrast, I've always had success getting SOME sort of overclock by tweaking timings even if NOT on the QVL. In other words: to be assured of success I feel you have to be ready to tweak timings otherwise be prepared to accept what it will give you even if only 2133, the DDR4 standard.

And one other thing you have to keep in mind: 1st gen Ryzen was very difficult getting beyond 2666. It may be a bit better with the newer AGESA, but it's still not a sure thing and never will be.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 9, 2020

Buying off the QVL may be a good strategy, especially for a new motherboard, to have a higher assurance a RAM kit will work at higher than stock clocks and especially by just enabling XMP and going for it. But one problem is mfr's may not update their QVL's for older motherboards as new RAM kits are released, and they also might not update them for older RAM kits as newer AGESA's are released. So you're frequently left uncertain when looking for high clock speed memory that's newer than the motherboard

As for me, I've never had success getting a RAM kit to it's highest rated clock just by enabling XMP even if selected from the QVL. And in contrast, I've always had success getting SOME sort of overclock by tweaking timings even if NOT on the QVL. In other words: to be assured of success I feel you have to be ready to tweak timings otherwise be prepared to accept what it will give you even if only 2133, the DDR4 standard.

And one other thing you have to keep in mind: 1st gen Ryzen was very difficult getting beyond 2666. It may be a bit better with the newer AGESA, but it's still not a sure thing and never will be.
Yeah, man! Thank you for your time and thank you for helping me, too. For now, I just want it to work, even in lower default clocks. I have the intention to keep this new RAM for some upgrades I'm planning to do, probably getting a Intel setup. At first I was concerned because the memory stick I bought says it's UDIMM but my MB supports DIMM. After some research I found that the pre-fix "U" doesn't mean it won't work, it just means it's unbuferred. Do you agree ?

Yeah, man! Thank you for your time and thank you for helping me, too. For now, I just want it to work, even in lower default clocks. I have the intention to keep this new RAM for some upgrades I'm planning to do, probably getting a Intel setup. At first I was concerned because the memory stick I bought says it's UDIMM but my MB supports DIMM. After some research I found that the pre-fix "U" doesn't mean it won't work, it just means it's unbuferred. Do you agree ?
I do believe UDIMM is more simply and commonly called DIMM...for unregistered/unbuffered memory. I don't think there are any Ryzen motherboards (there may be some Threadripper that do) that support registered so it's doubtful yours would require or support it.

Here's a good reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_memory

Last edited: