[SOLVED] Will any of these reduce ping/make my connection more stable?

voyboy488

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
Hello! This post mainly for those who tried the stuff below or those who are experts in network stuff, I had 3 questions in regards to improving my connection, eliminating ping spikes, possibly reducing ping?

My router does not support QOS and also does not support OpenWRT or DD-WRT. Should I get a router that helps me with these settings? Is QOS a big one in terms of gaming? Currently I only have port forwarding set up for games and usually get 30 ping in most games so I maybe being too picky here.

Should I turn off UPnP if I am using portforwarding?

Should I make any adjustments to the "Advanced" tab found in Ethernet settings ( View: https://imgur.com/bI3Pc3D
)

Solution
VPN should always make your connection slower because of the overhead and the extra distance the traffic must go to get to the vpn data center. The exception would be when you have a crappy ISP and their connectivity to other ISP is poor. Mostly this is needed in asia where not all ISP have access to the best undersea fiber connections.
A example would be. You use ISP A and the neighbor across the street uses ISP B. You both live say in chicago but the only place the ISP connect to each other is in london. So now for your traffic to across the street it must go all the way to london and back. Now lets say there is a VPN company and it has a office in new york. It buy a connect to both ISP A and ISP B. You can...
Some people consider UPnP a security risk, mostly the risk is if something infects your machine it can then open more holes to do even worse things. Kinda tin hat guys the virus protection on your machine blocks most.

When the network is work well ping represent the distance between you and the server. There is nothing you can do to affect this. QoS is only useful if you are exceeding the bandwidth you have purchased from your ISP. It does nothing at all when the connection is not over used because there is no need to decide which traffic goes first when it all can be sent as soon as it arrives.

QoS is not magic it really is no different than going down the hall and telling the other person who is using all the bandwidth that they have to stop because your game traffic is more important. It is just a electronic enforcement of a agreement between the user. You should be able to accomplish it without, people can set download limits and they can watch video on lower resolution. In the end the only fix for not enough bandwidth is to buy more. Someone is going to have to agree to reduce what they are doing and that is not a technical matter.

There are no real settings you can change in the pc that will affect the ping time. The connection between you and the router is 1gbit and it will never be the source of delays as long as you are not being stupid and doing something like running bittorrent in the back ground while you try to play games.

voyboy488

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
Some people consider UPnP a security risk, mostly the risk is if something infects your machine it can then open more holes to do even worse things. Kinda tin hat guys the virus protection on your machine blocks most.

When the network is work well ping represent the distance between you and the server. There is nothing you can do to affect this. QoS is only useful if you are exceeding the bandwidth you have purchased from your ISP. It does nothing at all when the connection is not over used because there is no need to decide which traffic goes first when it all can be sent as soon as it arrives.

QoS is not magic it really is no different than going down the hall and telling the other person who is using all the bandwidth that they have to stop because your game traffic is more important. It is just a electronic enforcement of a agreement between the user. You should be able to accomplish it without, people can set download limits and they can watch video on lower resolution. In the end the only fix for not enough bandwidth is to buy more. Someone is going to have to agree to reduce what they are doing and that is not a technical matter.

There are no real settings you can change in the pc that will affect the ping time. The connection between you and the router is 1gbit and it will never be the source of delays as long as you are not being stupid and doing something like running bittorrent in the back ground while you try to play games.

have been reading around the web and had some follow up questions if you have free time.

Is gaming VPN or GPN worth a shot such as Wtfast or Kill Ping?

Also for port forwarding if I want to portforward CSGO and Warzone some of the ports of Warzone are in the range of CSGO so basically I can only forward ports that is not included in CSGO range, is this a problem?

I guess my final question is about DD-WRT. What you think about this firmware? If I know what I am doing is it worth to give it a shot in the hopes of getting more stable internet/reduce ping?

Also my current set up is modem > router > ethernet cable > PC any changes to make here?

VPN should always make your connection slower because of the overhead and the extra distance the traffic must go to get to the vpn data center. The exception would be when you have a crappy ISP and their connectivity to other ISP is poor. Mostly this is needed in asia where not all ISP have access to the best undersea fiber connections.
A example would be. You use ISP A and the neighbor across the street uses ISP B. You both live say in chicago but the only place the ISP connect to each other is in london. So now for your traffic to across the street it must go all the way to london and back. Now lets say there is a VPN company and it has a office in new york. It buy a connect to both ISP A and ISP B. You can then connect to the vpn company in new york get a different IP address and use their connection to ISP B to get to your neighbor. So now the traffic only goes to new york rather than london.

In the USA and the EU there is so much fiber and so much interconnection between ISP that VPN seldom make the connection faster.

In general you only need to port forward for games that there is no central host. It would only matter if you wanted to act as the server for these types of games. You want to avoid any port forwarding unless the game does not work without it. It exposes your internal machines to attack if you open too many ports.

DD-wrt is only useful when there are software features that a factory image does not have. In most case you would know exactly which feature you needed. Say vlans support or running actual routing protocols like OSPF. These extra feature just increase the number of bugs that can occur if you do not actually need them.

The other big issue with DD-wrt if you have a fast internet connection is that is does not have support for the hardware NAT assist. They have a feature in almost all modern routers that allows the NAT function to bypass the CPU and use special hardware. DD-WRT can not get the driver for this so all traffic must pass the cpu. It will cap the wan-lan bandwidth at 250-300mbps even on the fastest router cpu. Note you have this same issue on factory images if you use the QoS. The QoS is done by the cpu so it must disable the hardware assist feature.

Solution