Will any PSU be compatible with any computer?

CyanIbexe

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
I am completely new to computers so that's why I am here asking basic questions. I want to be sure that any choices I make will be the correct one.

Are there limits or specifications when it comes to compatibility when it comes to PSU and a PC? I am upgrading my GPU and want to be sure that when I up the wattage for my PSU it will all go together.

Solution
You REALLY want a high quality PSU as it is the single most important part of a PC.

But yes, any normal ATX PSU is compatible with any normal modern motherboard.

Buy an Antec, XFX, Seasonic, EVAG (G2,B2) PSU.

CyanIbexe

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

What about Rosewill? My friend swears by them but looking at the prices they are really low compared to other brands.

I seriously like my Rosewill Hive Series 850W Modular Power Supply. Quiet and more output amps than a lot of other higher wattage PSU's. I build a lot and have used many Rosewill PSU's and am impressed so far. Been using EVGA PSU's too. Look out Seasonic, Evga is putting out some real quality PSU's.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Evga isn't 'putting out' anything. The Evga G2, B2, P2, T2 are built by SuperFlower, so the quality is not surprising. Other Evga branded units are built by HEC and FSP Group and aren't really worth the price by any means.

The Rosewill lightning, tachyon, Capstone are also built by SuperFlower, again, no surprise there, but the hive, Hercules, stallion, older value series are built by Sirtec, Solytech and Wintech, so take your chances there.

And that's the gimmick, assumption of quality based on popularity and price.

Do you know if Seasonic builds their own PSU's?

TRENDING THREADS