[SOLVED] Will applying heat sinks on the back plate void warranty?

Jun 18, 2021
I have a Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity OC. I and my brother play a lot, ~18-20 hours a day. Sometimes, the frames drop 2-3%, although what I've noticed is, when it starts to drop frames by 2-3%, it doesn't draw much power. The power draw falls to 280W instead of 350W. I got to know this is because of thermal throttling. But my temps are 60-65 all the time. Someone told me mem temps would be much higher.

So my question is:

• Can I use external little heat sinks and connect them through a double-sided thermal tape on the back plate?
  • Will it void the warranty?
  • I don't intend to remove the original heat sink or anything, just add little heat sinks on the back plate.
  • If I remove the heat sinks and clean the back plate, do I get my warranty back?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Can I use external little heat sinks and connect them through a double-sided thermal tape on the back plate?

Yes.

Will it void the warranty?

Not that i know of.

If you want to be absolutely sure, contact Zotac and ask them. If you don't give your GPU serial number and your real name to them, they can't tell once the warranty claim is made, that it is you.

There's no harm contacting manufacturers. E.g i contacted Seasonic directly, prior to purchasing CableMod paracord sleeved power cables, to ask if these are safe to use with my PRIME 650 80+Titanium PSU and/or if those void the 12 year warranty my PSU has.
Seasonic was very nice about it and gave me a green light in using CableMod products, also commenting that...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Can I use external little heat sinks and connect them through a double-sided thermal tape on the back plate?

Yes.

Will it void the warranty?

Not that i know of.

If you want to be absolutely sure, contact Zotac and ask them. If you don't give your GPU serial number and your real name to them, they can't tell once the warranty claim is made, that it is you.

There's no harm contacting manufacturers. E.g i contacted Seasonic directly, prior to purchasing CableMod paracord sleeved power cables, to ask if these are safe to use with my PRIME 650 80+Titanium PSU and/or if those void the 12 year warranty my PSU has.
Seasonic was very nice about it and gave me a green light in using CableMod products, also commenting that CableMod uses the very same gauge wires as Seasonic does in their stock/original PSU power cables.

Last edited:
Solution