[SOLVED] Will APU slow down on adding 4x4gb ram

Solution

If you populate 4 DIMMS then the default speed drops. You may be able to get 4 x 4 running at 2400mhz , but is likely even with a kit you will have to settle for 2133mhz if they are single rank DIMMS, but even less if they are dual ranked DIMMS. This is to do with the SOC and how it handles 2 DIMMS vs 4.

So in your case with the iGPU, it will definitely affect the GPU performance. Ryzen loves fast ram. You would be much better off with a 2 x 8 kit of single ranked ram, to get the benefit of faster speeds.
I don't think you will get any performance difference.
But... adding 2 disparate sticks may not work. Ram must be matched.
If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

If you populate 4 DIMMS then the default speed drops. You may be able to get 4 x 4 running at 2400mhz , but is likely even with a kit you will have to settle for 2133mhz if they are single rank DIMMS, but even less if they are dual ranked DIMMS. This is to do with the SOC and how it handles 2 DIMMS vs 4.

So in your case with the iGPU, it will definitely affect the GPU performance. Ryzen loves fast ram. You would be much better off with a 2 x 8 kit of single ranked ram, to get the benefit of faster speeds.

Solution

ron2456

Distinguished
The problem is very less choices of ram for the raven ridge. Vengeance LPX is not supported and system didn't boot with it. Hyper X fury only sells 2400 in my country which is compatible.
Tridents are out of my budget.
Board is a AX370-Gaming which I bought thinking that x370 will increase memory compatibility.

your best bet would be to upgrade to an X470 board if any BIOS updates do not improve compatibility in the future