Will ASUS EAH 4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5/A GPU fit in Dell OptiPlex 755

masemame

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I sent my EAH 4870 for RMA and they sent me another EAH 4870. and now the new one still doesn’t work. No BOOT just Black Screen…Thought Both the GPU and The CPU Fan runs.

Its either my motherboard or The GPU so. I want to try it with my friend dell PC and I need to know If my EAH4870 will fit in his Dell OptiPlex 755 even if its without the power cable?
This GPU is PCIE dual-slot configurations due to the large fans found on the card and the dell have PCIE but don’t know if it have the space to fit it.
Any idea?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You first issue is with your friend's Dell power supply (PSU). It is likely that the PSU is not sufficient to power the HD4870 (requires 500W PSU). Also, for the HD4870 to work, it MUST be connected to the PCI-E external connectors. It will not work without the external power applied.

That being said, if your friend has the tower version of the 755, it should physically fit. Good luck!

masemame

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
If u didn’t connect the power cables the GPU will display "You Have not connected one of your video card power connectors to the power supply" message. But this is, if the GPU work to begin with. All I want to know is if it will at least boot or show something like an error on the monitor. If that happen then its my motherboard problem else it the GPU and I’ll RMA …AGAIN…

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I understand what you are saying. If it fits into your friend's Dell and its PSU can't power your GPU properly, you may not be able to determine the problem.

Regardless, give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.

masemame

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
you mean it may not show the error msg with just PCIE powering it up? well i think i'll try to find other home built PC to try in on with my PSU. If I couldn’t I’ll just try it with the Dell.
Thanks COLGeek

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Right, you must connect the external power connector for the GPU to work at all. And, even if connected, the PSU may not power the GPU to an adequate level. It would likely boot and display for a while. Worth looking into as long as the Dell's PSU has the needed PCI-E 6 or 8-pin connectors.