[SOLVED] will Asus Hyper m.2 x16 v2 work in my system?

Mar 18, 2020
Hi i am looking for a solution to add my, recently found, old m.2 NVMe ssd to my computer.

i found this card from asus
https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD-V2/

my current setup is a msi b450m mortar max motherboard.
amd ryzen 5 3400g cpu with vega graphics
2 nvme ssd, and a PCIe wifi-card
and i am trying to add a 3rd nvme ssd

the optimal solution would be if the asus card works.
the motherboard only can only have 3 PCIe in it, and one of the PCIe doesnt work if the 2nd m.2 slot is populated.
so right now there is room so i could just get a PCIe card for one ssd. but in the furture i want to add a graphics card to my PC, and then i would need one more PCIe

so if the asus card is compatible, i would have 2 ssd's on the asus extension card and one ssd in the motherboard, but would it work in the available x4 PCIe slot? and does my system support PCIe bifurcation ?
is there a better way to add the last ssd ?
and what kind of speed can i expect if the 2 ssd's are able to work on the card through the one PCIe x4 connection

i hope someone can help me, as i feel a bit lost after trying to figure the whole thing out :)

i listed the specs i thought was relevant above, here is a complete list if there is something else that have a say in the equation
Msi B450m mortar max
Amd Ryzen 5 3400g
2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz
tp-link wifi card
Corsair tx550m 80+gold
adata gammix s5 (256gb) And gammix s11 pro (256gb)
and then the ssd from my old laptop
samsung PM861 (512gb)

Solution
The long and short of it is yes, you can use that card and you can use ONLY 2 m.2 NVME ssd drives on it. then you can raid them or use them separately as you please.

Let me break it down for you.
The motherboard you have has a chipset that supports that raiser card. (Asus Hyper card)
Problem is that your CPU, has ONLY 8 pcie lanes available. The card uses 4 lanes for each drive. So it can only see and use 2 ssds. This is a CPU limitation. If you had a cpu without a build in graphics you would have 16 lanes, but then you would need at least 8 for graphics again so back to square one.
Your wifi card should work just fine since the PCIE gen2 x 1 slots that are on the bottom are routed through the PCH so they dont take lanes off of the...

Ervis Gjoni

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
The long and short of it is yes, you can use that card and you can use ONLY 2 m.2 NVME ssd drives on it. then you can raid them or use them separately as you please.

The motherboard you have has a chipset that supports that raiser card. (Asus Hyper card)
Problem is that your CPU, has ONLY 8 pcie lanes available. The card uses 4 lanes for each drive. So it can only see and use 2 ssds. This is a CPU limitation. If you had a cpu without a build in graphics you would have 16 lanes, but then you would need at least 8 for graphics again so back to square one.
Your wifi card should work just fine since the PCIE gen2 x 1 slots that are on the bottom are routed through the PCH so they dont take lanes off of the cpu.

bios update required before you do this.
And yes, 2 nvme in raid 0 on this card will be much faster than anything else you have seen.

Solution
Mar 18, 2020

Your wifi card should work just fine since the PCIE gen2 x 1 slots that are on the bottom are routed through the PCH so they dont take lanes off of the cpu.

bios update required before you do this.
And yes, 2 nvme in raid 0 on this card will be much faster than anything else you have seen.

okay thank you for the reply. so basically the card would take a bunch of lanes from any potential furture gpu i add, and i would have to upgrade the cpu, when i buy a gpu for the ssd riser card to still funktion?