Will Athlon II X4 630 Run in Any AM2 Socket? Currently have X2 6000

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I have an HP system with an AM2 socket. I upgraded the original processor to an X2 6000.
Will the 620 or 630 work in my system? I heard that any system with an AM2 socket will accept the processor.
I am looking for better multi-tasking performance.
I am running Windows 7 with 4GB ram.

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
HP A1747 C MB is A8M2N-LA
I thought it wasn't supposed to support X2 6000, but it does.
If I can't put one in that slot, I may see if I can switch out the motherboard and just use my current case. The case is large. If I couldn't do it myself, my dad's friend runs a computer business. It shouldn't be that hard.

^And when you do get a new motherboard, remember if you are using the OEM version of Windows that came with the HP PC, you run into another big problem. Your OS will no longer work. If you go with a new motherboard, might as well plan on a new retail, or at least a new system builders version of Windows to go along with it.

Then you wont have that problem. But to support a Athlon II X2+ you need a new mobo since yours is just too old.

Newegg has a combo of the Athlon II X4 620 + mobo for $173 but they also have the Phenom II X3 with mobo for $173 and I would say the Phenom II X3 would be a better deal.