[SOLVED] Will B450 Gaming Pro Carbon work with these RGB fans

Nov 19, 2019
Hello

Apologies if I have phrased some of these question in a noob way, but I’ve taken the plunge and building my first PC so not entirely confident that I understand it all yet...

question..

Does anyone have experience with thee cheap Chinese manufacturer fans, and if so have you managed to get them to work with ‘Mystic Light Sync’?

I have the B450 Gaming pro carbon and wonder if the 5v 3pin will work with this mobo or if I need need any other cables? It would appear they need to attach to the MOBO & PWN? Is this the Jrainbow connector on the mobo?

Also the RGB fan controller has a M SATA interface power cable coming out.m the side.
I’m worried that my PSU ‘Corsair vengeance 650m’ won’t have this cable in the box or do all PSU come with those connector? Is it a SATA to molex connector?

Please see link which should give you a better understanding of the device and requirements.

upHere 5V PWM ARGB LED 120mm Case Fan For PC Cooling super Silent 5V 3 Pack-Supp...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HP21B6X/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_i0E6DbTY0Y2XE

Thank for your guidance

Last edited:
Solution
Yes they should be compatible. Those fan support, supposedly, according to the product description, mystic light sync, and the Gaming Pro Carbon supports Mystic light and Mystic light sync as well, so they SHOULD be compatible. As for what is ACTUALLY compatible or "works" on any of these third rate Chinese knock off products, man, that's probably down to a "per case" basis. If you want my opinion you'd be a lot better off spending the extra money for a higher quality Corsair, Cougar, NZXT, Fractal Design or other well known name brand ARGB fan, but that's your call.
Yes they should be compatible. Those fan support, supposedly, according to the product description, mystic light sync, and the Gaming Pro Carbon supports Mystic light and Mystic light sync as well, so they SHOULD be compatible. As for what is ACTUALLY compatible or "works" on any of these third rate Chinese knock off products, man, that's probably down to a "per case" basis. If you want my opinion you'd be a lot better off spending the extra money for a higher quality Corsair, Cougar, NZXT, Fractal Design or other well known name brand ARGB fan, but that's your call.

Solution
Nov 19, 2019
Thank you for feedback.
I would normally buy something quality and veer away from cheap china, but I’m building 2 identical pc‘s (1 for me and 1 for my son), so the budget has been stretched from 1 monster pc to 2 mid range specs. My son was more interested in it having RGB lights than the actual specs as ‘apparently ‘ all the esport utuber’s have this! 🤣

I was hoping someone had the same MOBO and lights and could 100% confirm they got it working as I’ve heard it’s not as straight forward as it appears!

anyone?

I saw that other thread you posted in as well. Don't expect anybody to come back, they rarely do. It happens, but usually if it's a hit and run type member like that who has a total of 9 posts, ever, I wouldn't expect it.

Further research shows that any fan which supports "RGB headers with two having support for 5050 RGB LED strips with a maximum power of 12 V, and the last supporting addressable RGB strips up to a power of 5 V. " Since those fans seem to be 5v ARGB, I see no reason they shouldn't work other than the fact that they are of the cheaply built variety.

Reactions: Brookinator
Nov 19, 2019
I saw that other thread you posted in as well. Don't expect anybody to come back, they rarely do. It happens, but usually if it's a hit and run type member like that who has a total of 9 posts, ever, I wouldn't expect it.

Further research shows that any fan which supports "RGB headers with two having support for 5050 RGB LED strips with a maximum power of 12 V, and the last supporting addressable RGB strips up to a power of 5 V. " Since those fans seem to be 5v ARGB, I see no reason they shouldn't work other than the fact that they are of the cheaply built variety.
Does that mean I could fit RGB 5v strip lights into the controller aswell?

Possibly, but I'm not sure I'd try to put both the fans and the light strips on the same headers. There are 3 RGB headers on that board that are 12v, and one that is 5v, from what I saw. I'd probably use the 12v headers and get 12v light strips, for the lighting, and use the 5v headers for the fans. Honestly, this isn't my best area. Let me get somebody in here who is a lot more familiar in this area than I am.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. Physically all a ARGB fan is just a fan with an ARGB strip attached, so a 5v ARGB strip and 5v ARGB fan are the same thing. The only difference being the amount of actual leds and length.

The other connector is pwm, so is the same deal as any other pwm fan as far as control and chaining/splitting goes.

The way ARGB works in theory is almost exactly like pwm, there's a tiny signal chip next to each led, and thats what's addressable. The software has a list of addresses of every single one of those chips, so when a color is chosen for that particular led, the software sends the signal to the chip, which enables the led to color. So you only need the 3 wires, 5v, ground, signal. This also enables the use of ARGB hubs, upto 10 fans or strips, depending on length, as you'll power the hub, which powers every chip, and just needs the address signal for color.

The difference between RGB and ARGB is that RGB is not addressable, so every led gets the same thing, so no rainbow affect is possible, only solid single colors. RGB is most normally 12v, ARGB 5v.

Meaning JRainbow is an ARGB header. Meaning also that RGB and ARGB have different headers and a 5050 RGB Strip header will be different to an ARGB header. They aren't compatible systems, but can be controlled by the same software simultaneously.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Nov 19, 2019
Yes. Physically all a ARGB fan is just a fan with an ARGB strip attached, so a 5v ARGB strip and 5v ARGB fan are the same thing. The only difference being the amount of actual leds and length.

The other connector is pwm, so is the same deal as any other pwm fan as far as control and chaining/splitting goes.

The way ARGB works in theory is almost exactly like pwm, there's a tiny signal chip next to each led, and thats what's addressable. The software has a list of addresses of every single one of those chips, so when a color is chosen for that particular led, the software sends the signal to the chip, which enables the led to color. So you only need the 3 wires, 5v, ground, signal. This also enables the use of ARGB hubs, upto 10 fans or strips, depending on length, as you'll power the hub, which powers every chip, and just needs the address signal for color.

The difference between RGB and ARGB is that RGB is not addressable, so every led gets the same thing, so no rainbow affect is possible, only solid single colors. RGB is most normally 12v, ARGB 5v.

Meaning JRainbow is an ARGB header. Meaning also that RGB and ARGB have different headers and a 5050 RGB Strip header will be different to an ARGB header. They aren't compatible systems, but can be controlled by the same software simultaneously.

wow that’s brilliant thank you very much for taking time to give me that detailed explanation. That’s made sense!