Question will b450m mortar handle r5 2600 ?

Apr 29, 2019
I am buying msi b450m mortar and r5 2600, and i dont intend to overclock it at all, will the motherboad handle it and have long life time ?
should i be worried about vrm components quality and its heatsinks ? or should i go cheaper?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Yes. That's one of the best MATX AM4 mobos available. MATX boards are mostly trash though so that's not saying much. Nearly any b450 board with VRM heatsinks will handle a 2600 stock or overclocked.

I am buying msi b450m mortar and r5 2600, and i dont intend to overclock it at all, will the motherboad handle it and have long life time ?
should i be worried about vrm components quality and its heatsinks ? or should i go cheaper?

It's handling my R7 1700 overclocked to 3.95Ghz which is the practical limit of my CPU. It's not the VRM, as it's still under 80C after an hour of Prime95 small FFT stress test, but above 3.95 the CPU needs way to much voltage for my comfort.

I wouldn't propose this board for extreme overclocking but this is one of the few mATX boards you can run overclocked 8 core CPU's 24/7 without putting a fan blowing on the VRM. So yes, it's very safe to say it will run a 6 core 2600 solid even overclocked.

But if you're certain you'd never venture into overclocking you could certainly go cheaper. Just look at and compare board features. For instance, one other thing the Mortar has is a second M.2 NVME slot. It's limited to PCIE x4 Gen 2 but even that is way faster than SATA SSD which is all you get with most any other board with a second M.2 slot.

Last edited:

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I agree. Most any AM4 board will handle an R5 2600 at stock. That is a great choice in motherboard for that cpu and MSI has been fine for me.
Pretty much anything but the absolute bottom of the barrel asus and MSI 450 boards would handle a 6 core overclocked to the max. Overclocking one of these CPUs at 1.4v doesn't make sense anyway. At that point you need to upgrade the cooler when you just could run 100 Mhz slower with the stock cooler at lower voltage with lower temps. When overclocking Ryzen you reach the point of needing more about 100 more mv to reach another 100 mhz. You should stop there because the trade off in heat and power consumption isn't worth the performance gain.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I have seen most hit 4 and some even at 4.1 on aftermarket air coolers. Mine will go to 3.8 and 3.9, but it needs a lot of high voltage and a better cooler.
Mine hit 3.9 at 1.25v if I remember correctly. That was about as much voltage as the stock cooler could handle. Probably would have hit 4.1 with a $30 tower cooler. Wasn't worth it on a CPU I paid $60 for.