Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Hello, I want to upgrade my rig for gaming to gain fps in newest games.

My setup:
Cpu: I7 6700k (4,2GHz)
Gpu: g1 Gtx 1080
Ram: Corsair vengeance 2x8gb 3000MHz
Psu: Corsair rm650x
Mb: Asus Z170 hero alpha
Ssd: adata su800 128gb
Hdd: seagate barracuda 1+3tb

And I want to replace my gpu for RTX 2080 super, will be my cpu ok with this gpu? Or what exactly upgrade to rapidly gain fps. (now 1080p in feature I want to switch in 1440p).

Solution
I think that upgrading to the 2080 super will get you some added FPS and performance....but I also think that when things get really demanding.....the CPU might slow things a bit.
That's not to say that I wouldn't do it.....and I would probably upgrade the CPU down the road.
I think that upgrading to the 2080 super will get you some added FPS and performance....but I also think that when things get really demanding.....the CPU might slow things a bit.
That's not to say that I wouldn't do it.....and I would probably upgrade the CPU down the road.

Solution
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

I doubt that a 6700K will be any kind of a limitation.
A higher resolution display puts more pressure on the graphics card than the processor.

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
I think I have lower performance due to both components (CPU + GPU) remember, I have old cpu and the gpu too. And I looked for the overclocked I7 6700K at 4,7 GHz and in games that was (+2 fps) and +30celsius, so I dont know :D

TRENDING THREADS