Will better ethernet cable make any difference?

agar.iobrrr

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
So I get like 60 ping while playing games and that is not terrible but I would like to get it little lower so I was thinking will like cat 7 give me a better ping than my cat 5 ? and sorry if this is a dumb question i'm not the best with this kind of things

Solution
pretty much no.
biggest thing impacting your ping is how you are connected to your ISP.
Mobile can be anything from 15ms to 500ms depending on network congestion.
ADSL can be like 30 to 100, depending on line length on copper and the negotiated speed.
Cable modems are also dependant on network congestion.
Fibre is usually lower than others.

It's mainly affected by the hardware being fast enough, based on maximum theoretical speed said hardware is limited to.
in 99% of cases, this is below cat5's 100Mbit/sec usual maximum speed, even though on short distances Cat5 can do gigabit.
in most cases this is also not a cabling limitation but limitation on router/modem ports and hardware.

you could try pinging your router to see how high ping...

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Short answer no, your ping is what it is to the SERVER. You have no control about which way packets are routed past your home router, so in most cases the ping will stay the same.

Long answer maybe, if the cabling is crimped wrong it can cause all kind of packet loss, but just recrimping is usually a far simpler fix than running a new wire, but there's a lot of variables here like: cat7 is shielded, are you getting signal interference? If you use a layer 2+ switch, most of them have built in tools to test signal quality of your ethernet cables to the endpoints, if it's just home hardware, it's a lot harder to test.

kanewolf

Titan
No. "Better" ethernet cable won't change anything. If you have quality copper cat 5e cable, it will support gigabit ethernet. Higher number cable standards are better for 10GE and faster standards. For most people in a home setting it doesn't matter.

Specifically your ping question, the time it takes to traverse your cat 5 cable is in picoseconds. Your "60" ping in is milliseconds a factor of 1000 ... The cable doesn't contribute.

pretty much no.
biggest thing impacting your ping is how you are connected to your ISP.
Mobile can be anything from 15ms to 500ms depending on network congestion.
ADSL can be like 30 to 100, depending on line length on copper and the negotiated speed.
Cable modems are also dependant on network congestion.
Fibre is usually lower than others.

It's mainly affected by the hardware being fast enough, based on maximum theoretical speed said hardware is limited to.
in 99% of cases, this is below cat5's 100Mbit/sec usual maximum speed, even though on short distances Cat5 can do gigabit.
in most cases this is also not a cabling limitation but limitation on router/modem ports and hardware.

you could try pinging your router to see how high ping you get from that, if it's above 10ms, you could get it down to 1ms in theory by changing network cables and routers(modems to gigabit versions.
past that, it is ISP's side and you cannot really affect that except if you have option to get faster internet connection type.

Past the third or so step on "tracert serverIP" your type of connection has little to no meaning and only way to lower that would be to use servers that are closer to you or.. move closer to where said servers are in.

Solution