[SOLVED] Will Biostar a55mh support newer gpus

pepap099

Honorable
Jun 18, 2018
The motherboard i have right now is a ecs a55f m3 and I've tried everything to figure what was going on with my pc when i installed rx 550 into my system replacing ram cmos battery psu monitor and at the end i concluded that it was my motherboard and at their site i saw that latest supported gpu was gtx 560ti (https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/P...5F-M3 -LL-V1-DO-0-RR-/Socket FM1#fragment-VGA) but at the biostars site i don't see the tab for supported gpus so does that mean it supports newer gpus (pcie 3.0) or not?

CPU: athlon ii x4 641
PSU: Be Quiet 550W
RAM: 2x 4gb DDR3
GPU: gt 520
NEW GPU: RX 550 2gb

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, this happens with some older motherboards. They don't have the correct UEFI bios to enable modern graphics cards to work properly. GPU's like RX4xx/5xx and GTX10xx series cards often don't work on those motherboards without a UEFI bios. You can try to make sure the mobo has the very latest bios installed. This 'may' get the card to work.

Otherwise there is just not much else that can be done. I had a similar issue on an ASUS P5NE-sli mobo, and it would take a GTX960 but not my GTX1060.
Yes, this happens with some older motherboards. They don't have the correct UEFI bios to enable modern graphics cards to work properly. GPU's like RX4xx/5xx and GTX10xx series cards often don't work on those motherboards without a UEFI bios. You can try to make sure the mobo has the very latest bios installed. This 'may' get the card to work.

Otherwise there is just not much else that can be done. I had a similar issue on an ASUS P5NE-sli mobo, and it would take a GTX960 but not my GTX1060.

Solution