[SOLVED] Will bsods from memory Issues hurt the computer In the long run

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
I have a gigabyte gaming 3 x370. At the time I didn’t know about motherboard Qvl lists so when I upgraded my ram from ballistix I just bought the kit I liked which is the CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W. Every now and then about once a month my computer will bsod usually from different errors but they all can lead from memory issues or are memory issues. I only get it when playing random games for a random period of time. I don’t usually game on my computer so my brother will tell me when it happens. There’s no link other than it’s demanding games at 1440p. I can only assume it’s the ram since that’s the most recent part I have changed. I have realized my nvme ssd gets quite hot when gaming, around 70c. If anyone has an similar experiences or thoughts it’s greatly appreciated, thanks.

Solution
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

If you should happen to get even a single error, it needs to be fixed.
Possibly you have a defective stick which should be returned under warranty.
Most ram comes with a lifetime warranty.
If you get errors, contact Corsair ram support for guidance

Ram failure is unlikely to cause physical harm.
But, other problems can surface.
If there is a ram related bios fix for your motherboard, I would install that.

Otherwise, my guess is that your issues are software related, possibly from bad game code.

Lutfij

Titan
You don't need to buy ram that are only on the QVL. The list is there to show people that they worked with the ram kits in their laboratory/factory. If they were to test every ram kit out there, the board wouldn't be released in time(or ever) to the masses.

That being said, to answer your thread title's question BSOD's aren't a good thing since it can lead to a corruption in your OS and files over the long run.

Mind listing your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
You don't need to buy ram that are only on the QVL. The list is there to show people that they worked with the ram kits in their laboratory/factory. If they were to test every ram kit out there, the board wouldn't be released in time(or ever) to the masses.

That being said, to answer your thread title's question BSOD's aren't a good thing since it can lead to a corruption in your OS and files over the long run.

Mind listing your specs like so:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 3 X370
Ram: CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W
SSD/HDD: Silicon power A80 512GB, Adata 1tb ssd, 2x 3tb hard drives
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
PSU: Corsair RMX 850W
Chassis: Corsair 275r White

Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

If you should happen to get even a single error, it needs to be fixed.
Possibly you have a defective stick which should be returned under warranty.
Most ram comes with a lifetime warranty.
If you get errors, contact Corsair ram support for guidance

Ram failure is unlikely to cause physical harm.
But, other problems can surface.
If there is a ram related bios fix for your motherboard, I would install that.

Otherwise, my guess is that your issues are software related, possibly from bad game code.

Solution
Yea first update your BIOS to the latest version as that improves RAM compatibility.
BSOD can lead to OS corruption so you OS will stop booting eventually and you will need to reinstall Windows. I had the same issue with OS corruption when I OCed my RAM too much.

TRENDING THREADS