[SOLVED] Will buying a new monitor lower my gaming performance?

KD266

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Hello,
I was looking to buy a new 144 hz 1080p monitor for my pc because the one i got is very old and its 60hz 1680x1050. Will my new monitor drop the performance in games?(also i will connect it by hdmi instead of the other cables)
My system:
Gtx1050 ti 4gb
I7 4790
16gb ram
Windows 10

Solution
You probably drop maybe 10-15% FPS. The blurryness will be unaffected.

A GTX1050 is not enough GPU for Forza Horizon 5 at 1080p without dramatic blurring and low resolution effects that you get from running it at minimum graphics setting. You need to be running at least a 1070, ideally better, to be able to turn the settings up in that game and maintain 60FPS.

KD266

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Yes, your FPS will drop at the higher resolution. Not by much mind you, and games will look a little better.
Lets say im playing forza horizon 5 at 60 fps and it looks a little blurry and car lights look pixelated currently. When i get the new one how much will the fps drop and will the pixelated stuff get fixed?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021

A GTX1050 is not enough GPU for Forza Horizon 5 at 1080p without dramatic blurring and low resolution effects that you get from running it at minimum graphics setting. You need to be running at least a 1070, ideally better, to be able to turn the settings up in that game and maintain 60FPS.

Solution

KD266

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019

A GTX1050 is not enough GPU for Forza Horizon 5 at 1080p without dramatic blurring and low resolution effects that you I’ll get from running it at minimum. You need to be running at least a 1070, ideally better, for that game.
Ok thanks a lot

Much depends on the game.
Some are cpu limited.

If you find that a higher resolution monitor impacts you, you can always reduce the resolution.
A monitor can be a long time purchase.
I suggest you see some in person if you can.
I also suggest buying a larger, higher resolution unit. It will be with you for a long time.
Perhaps 1440P 32" or better.
Displayport is the better connection for high refresh rates.

Hello,
I was looking to buy a new 144 hz 1080p monitor for my pc because the one i got is very old and its 60hz 1680x1050. Will my new monitor drop the performance in games?(also i will connect it by hdmi instead of the other cables)
My system:
Gtx1050 ti 4gb
I7 4790
16gb ram
Windows 10

1440p 144hz is far too much for a 1050 Ti. 1080p 60hz can be a difficult in the latest titles. If you don't have money for a GPU right now, I discovered a little app recently called Lossless Scaling on Steam:

It allows you to use various scaling techniques to upscale a lower res to a higher one. It may be beneficial in getting a slightly sharper image when using a resolution lower than the displays native one. There's a free demo, I had a play and thought it was kind of cool. Ideally though you need a GPU upgrade but even a 1050ti is expensive these days :/

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...-image-sharpening-in-the-nvidia-control-panel

I believe this feature is available on GeForce 10 GPUs, but enabling "GPU scaling" will run sub-native resolutions through what NVIDIA calls a "high quality upscaler", then you can tweak the sharpening slider to your liking. Note the sharpening filter works regardless of resolution.

Oh ok that's very interesting I've never tried that. Well worth the OP checking that out if he upgrades. The paid version of that little app also had support for AMD FSR but don't know how that would compare to the Nvidia thing.

Oh ok that's very interesting I've never tried that. Well worth the OP checking that out if he upgrades. The paid version of that little app also had support for AMD FSR but don't know how that would compare to the Nvidia thing.
So I decided to check out if there's someone who did a "review" of sorts of how good the image scaler works. I found out NVIDIA recently updated the scaler used and some outlets reported it with comparisons. It's pretty much NVIDIA's version of FSR.

So I decided to check out if there's someone who did a "review" of sorts of how good the image scaler works. I found out NVIDIA recently updated the scaler used and some outlets reported it with comparisons. It's pretty much NVIDIA's version of FSR.

That's cool, I did hear Nvidia were doing their equivalent but I haven't paid much attention to it. I'll have a go with that on my laptop :)