[SOLVED] Will buying an intel processor be worth it in 3 years?

Hey everyone.

Before I begin, I’d like to say that I am biased towards AMD opposed to intel. If I’m looking for a higher-end chip, I’d definitely go intel. But for anything under $200, I’d likely choose AMD.

I’m looking to upgrade my CPU sometime this summer. I’m willing to spend quite a bit of money, $200-$350. I know amd will release the ryzen 3000 series sometime soon. These chips are supposed to have a very good price to performance ratio. $100 for 6 cores is insane. Intel, as of right now, seems frightened. Their cheapest 6 core processor is in the $300 range. My question is, if I buy an intel CPU, will it be obselete within 4 years because AMD has taken over?

Solution
Heh. What a question. Well, let's put it this way. My wife has my old Phenom II x3 720. It still performs well enough for any every day task she throws at it as well as some moderate gaming. It is right about 10 years old. People are still running Core 2 Quads in this day and age and playing modern games on them. Sandy Bridge CPUs are still completely viable options and they are approaching 8 years old.

There has never been a time in computing history where systems have lasted as long as they do today. So, with decade old hardware still cutting it in many cases, I don't think it is fair to assume that a mid to high end CPU today won't "work" it in 4 years. In 2014 Haswell, the Core 4th gen was on the market, and SO many people are...

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
Ask yourself this...are 4 year old AMD processors considered obselete? (the answer is no, they are not obselete)

I mean I'm not sure exactly what you're worried about? Like will your Intel chip will stop working if AMD gains market share?

We cannot predict the future. Buy the best for your budget based on the reviews and benchmarks. Not that long ago some people bought AMD FX 6xxx or 8xxx CPU’s claiming they would outlive Intel counterparts, however that never happened and the stronger cores of Intel held up better. This time the gap isn’t as big and the shift of software and games being able to use more cores may give a different outcome long term but it’s just impossible to predict.

Heh. What a question. Well, let's put it this way. My wife has my old Phenom II x3 720. It still performs well enough for any every day task she throws at it as well as some moderate gaming. It is right about 10 years old. People are still running Core 2 Quads in this day and age and playing modern games on them. Sandy Bridge CPUs are still completely viable options and they are approaching 8 years old.

There has never been a time in computing history where systems have lasted as long as they do today. So, with decade old hardware still cutting it in many cases, I don't think it is fair to assume that a mid to high end CPU today won't "work" it in 4 years. In 2014 Haswell, the Core 4th gen was on the market, and SO many people are still using those. I'm still using 2 i5 systems from that generation. The thing is, the new CPUs coming out now aren't even that much faster. We are only now reaching the point that CPUs are 30% faster than they were then... and 30% is about where you start noticing a difference in most cases. Between 4th and 7th gen (which was 3 years) there was minimal performance gain.

So, feel free to buy a Ryzen 5 2600 today, and unless there is a major shift in computing, like we suddenly start using quantum computers in the home, it will, more than likely, still be a very usable CPU in 4 years.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan

It's unlikely that Intel CPUs will be obsolete in four years; AMD's a better *value* in a lot of the areas right now, arguably most, but they're not like crushing Intel chips. If something happens to make today's Intel CPUs inadequate in four years, AMD's CPUs right now will also be inadequate.

But either way, the useful time to ask about a purchase next summer is next summer. Otherwise, it's like me asking you what I should get for lunch on March 11th. How would you know where I am? What I need? What I'm in the mood for?

USAFRet

Titan

I thought you were locked in on the AMD path?
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3844752/building-tips.html

But no, an Intel CPU won't be "obsolete" in 4 years, any more than a current AMD chip would be.

I’ll be looking to upgrade later this summer, as the ryzen 3 2200g won’t do it for me.

inanition02

Distinguished
MERGED QUESTION
Question from kindangrysliceofpie : "Looking for a sub $300 CPU with 6+ cores"

I think you answered your own question - if you can, wait for Ryzen 3000 (Zen2) to see what the gains are. It should work in your existing mobo, perhaps with a bios update.

Then ask about it after they come out etc when you are ready to actually do something.