[SOLVED] Will buying this CPU bottleneck my GPU?

Likrel

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK (MS-7970) (U3E1)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

The CPU I want to get is the | Intel Coffee Lake Core i7 9700K 8 Core 3.6Ghz | or | Intel Core i7 9700K 8 Core 3.6Ghz |. I don't know if there is a difference between the them aside from the name.

I am planning to get those CPU but one of my friends that builds PC tells me that that CPU will bottleneck my GPU and won't use it to its full potential. My other friend tells me it will do nothing to my GPU.

I am not sure who to believe, so I am asking here for help.

Solution
but one of my friends that builds PC tells me that that CPU will bottleneck my GPU

Never ask this friend for computer advice ever again.

Bottlenecks are only of real concern when pairing a high end component with a low end component. You're looking at getting one of the best consumer level CPUs on the market today. It can handle any graphics card you want to throw at it without issue. Your graphics card isn't a slouch either, so I would not have any issues pairing those two components.

Of course, @Bob125484 has a point in that the Intel Core I7-9700K is not compatible with your current motherboard. Best processor you can get for your board is going to be the Intel Core I7-7700K (which I still wouldn't have a problem...

johnsoner13

Respectable
The CPU I want to get is the | Intel Coffee Lake Core i7 9700K 8 Core 3.6Ghz | or | Intel Core i7 9700K 8 Core 3.6Ghz |. I don't know if there is a difference between the them aside from the name.
They’re the same
I am planning to get those CPU but one of my friends that builds PC tells me that that CPU will bottleneck my GPU and won't use it to its full potential. My other friend tells me it will do nothing to my GPU.
Your friend saying it will “bottleneck” your GPU doesn’t know what he’s talking about. A 9700k is plenty for a 1660 Ti and even far more powerful GPU’s. Your “other friend” is right, it won’t do anything to your GPU. But you’ll see increased performance, especially in CPU demanding titles. It won’t work with your Z170 motherboard though

Wolfshadw

Titan
but one of my friends that builds PC tells me that that CPU will bottleneck my GPU

Never ask this friend for computer advice ever again.

Bottlenecks are only of real concern when pairing a high end component with a low end component. You're looking at getting one of the best consumer level CPUs on the market today. It can handle any graphics card you want to throw at it without issue. Your graphics card isn't a slouch either, so I would not have any issues pairing those two components.

Of course, @Bob125484 has a point in that the Intel Core I7-9700K is not compatible with your current motherboard. Best processor you can get for your board is going to be the Intel Core I7-7700K (which I still wouldn't have a problem pairing with a GTX 1660Ti).

-Wolf sends

Solution