[SOLVED] Will C15 ram work in a motherboard that only shows compatibility for C16?

Apr 28, 2022
Hello,

I currently have Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) 3000mhz DDR4 C15 sticks, and they are not showing on the memory compatibility list for the MOBO I'm getting.

Ram: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Mobo: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4

It seems like all the memory showing as compatible for that mobo is C16.

I've done some searching, but I cannot find out if C15 ram will work fine in it. I'm assuming yes, but wanted to check with someone more knowledgeable.

Additionally, would I see any significant performance gains if I were to replace my 3000mhz C15 sticks with 3200mhz C16 sticks?

I'm going to be running an i5 12400 w/ a GTX 3060ti for gaming (mainly).

Thanks!

Solution
The QVL is worthless except for 1 thing. It shows a list of ram that was tested, proving the mobo can handle those speeds listed. It's a Qualified Vendor List, not a Qualified Ram List.

If you look at Gskill DDR4, there's over 3000 individual model numbers just in the Trident-Z lineup. A model number includes the kit, color, size, speed, heatsink, Cas, voltage, series, and half a dozen other options. Change just 1 and it becomes a different model number. The motherboard vendor might have tested the black/gray Trident-Z at 3200 16Gb (8x2kit) cas16, which is exactly no different to the black/white 3200 16Gb (4x4kit) cas16 other than number of sticks and color, yet only one is listed. Still 3200 16Gb Cas 16.

Point is, if you add up all...
Hello,

I currently have Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) 3000mhz DDR4 C15 sticks, and they are not showing on the memory compatibility list for the MOBO I'm getting.

Ram: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Mobo: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4

It seems like all the memory showing as compatible for that mobo is C16.

I've done some searching, but I cannot find out if C15 ram will work fine in it. I'm assuming yes, but wanted to check with someone more knowledgeable.

Additionally, would I see any significant performance gains if I were to replace my 3000mhz C15 sticks with 3200mhz C16 sticks?

I'm going to be running an i5 12400 w/ a GTX 3060ti for gaming (mainly).

Thanks!
Since you have the ram try it.

Don't bother with the 3000>3200 swap.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The QVL is worthless except for 1 thing. It shows a list of ram that was tested, proving the mobo can handle those speeds listed. It's a Qualified Vendor List, not a Qualified Ram List.

If you look at Gskill DDR4, there's over 3000 individual model numbers just in the Trident-Z lineup. A model number includes the kit, color, size, speed, heatsink, Cas, voltage, series, and half a dozen other options. Change just 1 and it becomes a different model number. The motherboard vendor might have tested the black/gray Trident-Z at 3200 16Gb (8x2kit) cas16, which is exactly no different to the black/white 3200 16Gb (4x4kit) cas16 other than number of sticks and color, yet only one is listed. Still 3200 16Gb Cas 16.

Point is, if you add up all the Trident-Z, Ares, value, RipJaws etc from gskill, then add in all the Corsair, Kingston, Adata, Patriot, crucial and 99 other ram vendors into a list, you'd still be testing DDR3, the list would be thousands of pages long, the company would go broke buying all that ram, paying for testing and that's all just for 1 motherboard, which you'd need to repeat for the 30 other motherboards in intel/amd .

So they test just a few they have on hand, gotten locally and give you a list that says 'look, it can do this speed, here's proof'. It not a list saying 'this tested as working, other ram may not, even from the same company'

Solution

TRENDING THREADS