will changing my cpu deactivate windows 8 oem

al2xhds

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
hi, i have a intel pentium g3230 and wanna change it to intel i5 3330. i wanna know if my windows 8 oem will be deacivated or will nothing happen, a quick response will be amazing. thanks.

Solution
Yes you'll have the windows after you change the CPU. It may get deactivated (unlikely) but you can reactivate with a valid reason (which you have) from Microsoft. You're good to go, all the best!
You will be fine unless you change the motherboard, 100% for sure. Windows has around 10 check points for hardware and you have to have at least 5/10 not change in order for it to not mess up OEM windows. The motherboard accounts for 6/10, so any other changes are fine. Graphics cards, Ram, CPU, and hard drives are fine to upgrade.

That Pentium supports LGA1150 socket while that i5 supports LGA1155, which means you need to change your MoBo as well to accomodate that chip. With OEM version you'd just need to reactivate Windows. Which is really easy and shouldn't be a problem.
I'd just like to point out its not a wise decision to go back in terms of tech (from newer Pentium to older i5). You should get a 4th gen i5. And if you do that, then you'll not even need to reactivate it as you won't have to change your MoBo.

If you do run into problems, try the number listed here for your country. http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers/en-gb Tell them that your motherboard died and you had to replace it. If you get the right service rep. they will activate it for you again. I had to do this when I replaced my asus board for my MSI board. They did it no problem since all my other components were not changed. If you do have to follow this route, you will want your old cpu installed.

al2xhds

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013

sorry i have a pentium g2020. and wanna upfrade to a i5 3330, will i still have windows after changing

al2xhds

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013

if windows isnt activated i still have the original disc so would that help

No, the graphics card/RAM/CPU/Storage will only ever represent one change. They won't add on top of each other like you are suggesting. The problem is the motherboard accounts for 6 out of 10 no matter what, so if you change the board it could lead to purchasing a new copy of windows. If you follow the steps I posted earlier and explain a broken board as the reason for the windows reinstall most of the service reps will release your key so you can use it again. Success this way can vary. I have done it myself twice, and have done it for a few friends as well. Just avoid using the automated system, and talk directly with someone using the phone numbers I linked earlier in the thread.