[SOLVED] Will changing resolution increase my FPS?

FelixAFF

Reputable
May 15, 2019
So i saw a lot of benchmarks 1080p videos with GTX 1660Ti and a Ryzen 5 2600 and most of them seem to have more FPS than me with a GTX 1660Ti and a Ryzen 5 2600x 1600x900
But i noticed that my GPU usage is not as much as the people using 1080p resolution.
If i upgrade to a 144hz 1080p monitor will i use more GPU and potentially get more FPS? or just the same FPS but more GPU Usage??

One analogy is the CPU sketches the outline, while the GPU fills in the outline.
The higher the resolution the workload increases for the GPU (more to fill in).
The lower the resolution the workload is on the CPU (more to sketch out).

Look to other settings in the game; also suggest using an ingame monitor (eg. MSI Afterburner) to see how the hardware performs while in the game; could be other factors as well as the two main ones.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
What’s the full pc spec? For example RAM speed can significantly impact Ryzen performance.

The way I would look at it is the cpu determines the best FPS you can achieve, the gpu determines what resolution and game settings you can achieve this FPS with. However other parts can have an impact.

FelixAFF

Reputable
May 15, 2019
What’s the full pc spec? For example RAM speed can significantly impact Ryzen performance.

The way I would look at it is the cpu determines the best FPS you can achieve, the gpu determines what resolution and game settings you can achieve this FPS with. However other parts can have an impact.
GTX 1660ti MSI Ventus OC 6GB
AMD R5 2600x
16GB DDR4 RAM 3200MHz 2x8
Windows 10 64-bit
500 Watt PSU Gladias Venomrx
SSD 240GB
1TB HDD
ASROCK B450M Steel Legend

Hmm that PSU looks suspicious. It’s not a brand I know and from Google it looks cheap and cheap psu’s have no place in a gaming pc. Looking at its own spec it claims 33A on the 12v (33x12=396w) therefore even by its own spec it should be considered as a 400w and not 500w, typical cheap psu misleading labelling. I cannot say the psu is causing a performance problem but it might be.

Your RAM looks very good, no issues there. In the reviews you are comparing too have they overclocked their cpu?

thepixie

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
You want to try to use the XMP profile for the memory. This video might help - I've not watched it all the way through:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLbi0Gaxx_g

It'll make a big difference increasing the speed. However Ryzen officially supports up to 2933mhz so your results might vary on your way to setting it to 3200. My 3000 I have running at 2800 as i find it's completely stable at this speed.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17424201 (This is when i have like 8 applications running at the same time)
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17424351 (This is after i close everything)
Have you changed any settings related to CPU frequency/boost? What is your max CPU temp under load? I see that your 2600X is only boosting to 3.7 GHz on average in the benchmark, I think it's expected to be closer to 3.9-4.0 GHz. Not a huge deal, might be nothing, just wanted to double check.

Other than that, and your RAM not running at full XMP speeds, everything else looks good.

Last edited: