[SOLVED] Will cloned partition via Samsung Migration Tool break my Windows?

Mar 23, 2021
I have a SSD with Windows 10 installed on it. I would like to clone the C partition with Win10 installation to second SSD using Samsung Migration Tool. Then I will remove my second SSD from booting sequence (but it will still be connected and I will be using second partition on that disk), so I will still be using the first SSD to boot. Will it cause any problems? I don't want to break my current installation. What is important that I want to boot from my second SSD (with cloned partition) on another computer with similar hardware.

Solution
I will remove my second SSD from booting sequence (but it will still be connected and I will be using second partition on that disk)

...I want to boot from my second SSD (with cloned partition) on another computer
this doesn't really make sense.
you state that you want to keep the second SSD and use partitions located on it for your current system,
but that you want to use it to boot Windows on another system?
are you planning on just relocating the disk back and forth between systems frequently?

I would like to clone the C partition with Win10 installation to second SSD...

I want to boot from my second SSD (with cloned partition) on another computer with similar hardware.
unless the 2nd system is using the exact same...
What is important that I want to boot from my second SSD (with cloned partition) on another computer with similar hardware.
For this to work you will have to clone all the partitions before C as well, you will also have to make sure that the ssd is already bootable, it has to have an MBR.
Your main ssd will not be changed in any way so there is nothing that can break, if it boots now without the second ssd it will also boot afterwards without it..

I will remove my second SSD from booting sequence (but it will still be connected and I will be using second partition on that disk)

...I want to boot from my second SSD (with cloned partition) on another computer
this doesn't really make sense.
you state that you want to keep the second SSD and use partitions located on it for your current system,
but that you want to use it to boot Windows on another system?
are you planning on just relocating the disk back and forth between systems frequently?

I would like to clone the C partition with Win10 installation to second SSD...

I want to boot from my second SSD (with cloned partition) on another computer with similar hardware.
unless the 2nd system is using the exact same motherboard & CPU, this is probably not the best idea.

and your boot drive has more system partitions than just C:.
for Windows to load and run correctly you would need to clone all of these system partitions arranged with the same disk structure, not just the Windows partition.
so pretty much cloning the entire disk would be required.

you will be much better off just creating a Windows install package and performing a fresh install on the second system.

Solution
It won't break your current installation, however, I'd recommend installing Windows on the second computer rather than running a clone. If you don't want to go through the hassle of setting things up, here are things to minimize the downtime:
  • Attach a Microsoft Account to the computers, as quite a few options in Settings will sync
  • Use a custom installer from Ninite.com to bulk install your apps
  • Copy the contents of your user folder from the first PC into the second PC.

USAFRet

Titan
Then I will remove my second SSD from booting sequence (but it will still be connected and I will be using second partition on that disk)
What is important that I want to boot from my second SSD (with cloned partition) on another computer with similar hardware.

This is two completely different things.

You want the drive to stay in PC 1, but be able to boot it up in PC 2?

No.