Question Will Cloning My Macbook Pro Drive/OS/Entire System From SSD to HDD Cause Data Loss?

Nov 24, 2020
Hello everyone, this is my first time using tomshardware.com for anything other than looking at news or reviews for consumer products etc. so please go easy on me and if I am doing/formatting/asking anything in the wrong way or forum please let me know!

I currently own a Macbook Pro early 2015 model with a 128GB factory SSD. I've recently purchased a new OWC aura pro X2 480GB SSD and would like to install this new SSD in my laptop after I have done all the necessary research and finished up everything I need to have done. I'm in no rush to get the new one in it but I thought I would started putting out my feelers into the world and determine what the correct way to go about doing so would be in the least susceptible-to-damage-way possible. After looking into it, using the disk utility function on the Macbook will be the way to go about cloning and using a bootable version of the OS to be able to use after installation of my new SSD.

My question for all of you is: will cloning from an SSD to an HDD, and vice versa, cause any type of data loss or curruption in the transition.

I understand HDDs and SSDs are two very different types of storage mechanisms and use vastly different technologies so it has made me wonder if there is any vulnerability for loss/corruption in the way data is transferred from SSD to HDD/HDD to SSD. I have an external HDD I plan on using to clone the drive onto for booting the OS after the new SSD is installed and the possibility of losing any files that are physically stored on my SSD is something that makes me wary about this method. I do, however, have the utmost confidence Apple has very thoroughly scrutinized the way this process is handled and has accounted for every possibility. But, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I also have some additional, less pertinent but still meaningful, questions I hope you folks can help answer.
  • Would purchasing an external SSD be a better method of cloning from SSD to HDD if this is not the most conducive means to the ends I am seeking without loss/corruption?
  • Most of the files I'd like to keep are located in iCloud already so, in theory, would all I need to do to get my laptop to boot with an OS be to clone the OS onto the HDD?
  • Would I be overzealous in my attempts to keep my files on my new SSD, on the old SSD, and in the cloud at the same time?
  • Could I just move my files from the old SSD, which will be housed in an Envoy Pro enclosure, without a large possibility for corruption after the installation of the new SSD and boot with the OS?
  • Does anyone have any thorough guides they could point me to detailing how I would go about this entire process? I have looked and found methods for what I'm looking to do but I'm curious to hear the various opinions from you all about the tried and true ways to do all of this.
I think that covers my bases for this question and any others I have at this moment. Any helpful advice, tips, links, videos, etc. would be greatly appreciated! I have never done anything like this before so I'd like to know as much as possible before diving in and knowing exactly what I am doing is a good way to begin the process.

Thanks again!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS