Will "Computer Configuration" policies that are applied at..

I have an OU called Florida that contains all of my users in Florida. If I
attach a Group Policy to this OU that contains Computer Configuration
settings (specifically Windows Update settings), will these settings be
passed down even though the OU does not contain the user's computer?

Thanks!

In article <#dJswQ$QEHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, michael.herchel[@]
wavecrestlabs.com says...
> I have an OU called Florida that contains all of my users in Florida. If I
> attach a Group Policy to this OU that contains Computer Configuration
> settings (specifically Windows Update settings), will these settings be
> passed down even though the OU does not contain the user's computer?
>
> Thanks!

No, you'll need to link a GPO to the OU where your computer accounts
reside. What you see in a GPO under User Configuration is applied *only*
to users (hence it has "user" in the name). Respectively, all settings
under Computer Configuration are applicable only to the computer. So for
these to take effect the GPO must be applied to an OU in/below which the
*computer accounts* reside. Therefore it's a recommended design practice
to disable the Computer configuration part for GPOs that apply only to
users for better performance since it's not used anyway.

HTH
--
Cheers,
Marin Marinov

Wow. Thanks for the information!

"Marin Marinov" <mlmarinov@askme.ca> wrote in message
> In article <#dJswQ$QEHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, michael.herchel[@]
> wavecrestlabs.com says...
> > I have an OU called Florida that contains all of my users in Florida. If
> > attach a Group Policy to this OU that contains Computer Configuration
> > settings (specifically Windows Update settings), will these settings be
> > passed down even though the OU does not contain the user's computer?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> No, you'll need to link a GPO to the OU where your computer accounts
> reside. What you see in a GPO under User Configuration is applied *only*
> to users (hence it has "user" in the name). Respectively, all settings
> under Computer Configuration are applicable only to the computer. So for
> these to take effect the GPO must be applied to an OU in/below which the
> *computer accounts* reside. Therefore it's a recommended design practice
> to disable the Computer configuration part for GPOs that apply only to
> users for better performance since it's not used anyway.
>
> HTH
> --
> Cheers,
> Marin Marinov