will Corsair CX500 power Asus Strix RX 480 O8G gaming

irwansyahrino

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
I currently buy an asus strix rx 480 o8g, the minimum power said 500w, 12v with 42 amp (I dont know the detail spec until I bought this). And the corsair cx500 had 38 amp. My pc work fine but fans from the gpu sometimes noisy for few second. Is there something wrong with gpu or psu? Or I need new psu? It is bad idea if I keep psu for few months?

Thank You
Sorry if my english isn't good.

Solution
It's not that people hate the CX, it's reviews are OK when you measure a new unit. However when you read a tear down it is clear that it is made to a budget from cheap parts and is more prone to fail because of that.

Like I said, it isn't garbage like some of the no brand units you will find but personally I wouldn't put one in a gaming PC. A quick check and the price difference between buying a CX and a far better supply in the UK is about £15-20 so I really don't see the point unless you're working on a desperately tight budget.

I think more than people hating on the CX there is a club of people who leap to its defence probably because they bought one and take it personally when they read criticism, it's a budget PSU intended for...

Dustybin

Respectable
Feb 24, 2016
The CX is a budget supply, it isn't total trash but its target market isn't really gaming machines. It will probably be fine for a couple of months but I would be looking to replace it with a decent unit from the Tom's PSU list as soon as I could.

irwansyahrino

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Should I going with same watt psu with good one or add some more watts?

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Some people hate the CX series of PSU's, I have been using a CX500 for about 3 years. I run a Gigabyte R9 270x windforce 3x OC version and I have over clocked the GPU and never ever once have I had an issue with the CX500. So people can say what they want about the CX500...in my eyes is a pretty good PSU for the money.

People always exaggerate with psu's, the cx500 will work just fine with a rx 480, you can even pair a gtx 1070/1080 with it.

Sure some people will tell you they have had issues with a cheaper psu, but ive seen a lot of people having issues with expensive psu's aswell. aslong it's not any of those cheap china made brands, the more known brands like seasonic, corsair, antec, xfx all will do fine.

irwansyahrino

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Thanks, Im so happy to hear that, but I want to make sure there is no broken component happen.

gpu minim requirment spec: 500w; v12+; 42 amp.

cx500 spec: 500w; v12+; 38 amp.

are sure there is going to be okay?

irwansyahrino

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Thanks, more support for cx500.

But what about the requirement for rx 480 is 42 amp? cx 500 has 38 amp.

Your mileage may vary. For some people, CX works just fine. But not every unit is the same, even the same model from same factory. Are you willing to take the risk? Fine, do it. But don't blame anyone afterwards. I would not risk it, especially not for a couple dozen bucks which can get you a way better PSU and peace of mind.

CXM series is way better in terms of quality:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na

EVGA B2 is also top notch:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1

Your call.

It will work, the newer gpu's are very efficient. I run a gtx 1070 + i7 4790 on a 550w 30amp psu, and before that I had a r9 380 which is also powerhungry on the same psu. :)

Dustybin

Respectable
Feb 24, 2016
It's not that people hate the CX, it's reviews are OK when you measure a new unit. However when you read a tear down it is clear that it is made to a budget from cheap parts and is more prone to fail because of that.

Like I said, it isn't garbage like some of the no brand units you will find but personally I wouldn't put one in a gaming PC. A quick check and the price difference between buying a CX and a far better supply in the UK is about £15-20 so I really don't see the point unless you're working on a desperately tight budget.

I think more than people hating on the CX there is a club of people who leap to its defence probably because they bought one and take it personally when they read criticism, it's a budget PSU intended for that market. If you're buying enthusiast hardware why cheap out on your PSU?

Rather than retype information about the CX I will post a couple of reviews, basically generally the performance is 'OK' but the cheap quality of components mean you could well not be getting the W rating printed on the side. There are build quality issues in general with the unit that make it a lottery and its cheap fan is more likely to start making a noise and crap out.

Most of the positive reviews I have seen of the CX series are by people who have never taken the lid off the thing, they just measure its ripple, 12v etc and these are pretty acceptable compared to a more expensive unit.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx430-500-600
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=416

Solution

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Hi DustyBin,

I agree 100% with that the CX is not a n enthusiast PSU. I know it is not the best, but in my country South Africa pc parts are extremely expensive. example a CX500 from amazon is +-$56 and from local retailer in South Africa $111 at the current exchange rate. 3 Years ago when I bought my CX500 I paid $70 and that was one of the cheapest , most decent PSU's I could find.

I wouldn't recommend buying one now (for the reasons above)
If you already have one I wouldn't replace it unnecessarily though if it's working fine

I ran a 280x on one for 3 years with no trouble at all & that's a card that can drag 50-60 more watts than any 480.

It's still running now in a lower power htpc build & I have no hesitation in using it until it kicks the bucket.