Question Will corsair vs450 be enough for gtx 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
What country are you in?

Virtually all cheap cooler master PSUs are very poor quality and could fail.

The Corsair VS orange units are very very notorious for failure. Heavily loading a vs450 with a card its not designed to handle could be fatal to your hardware.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
A high quality PSU like a Seasonic FOCUS or PRIME, or Corsair's AX, RMx, etc would do it.

The orange VS, even if it were 600 or more, I would not trust.

550W is probably the way to go, though. See the link in my sig for recommendations.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
What country are you in?

Virtually all cheap cooler master PSUs are very poor quality and could fail.

The Corsair VS orange units are very very notorious for failure. Heavily loading a vs450 with a card its not designed to handle could be fatal to your hardware.

Lol its not cheap its like 48£ cooler master psu here is item number on ebay 143381311960

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Why ask for advice if you're just going to ignore what everyone tells you?

That PSU you found on eBay is mediocre at best, and that's when it's new. That unit is used with seemingly no indication of how long it's been used. Components in the PSU (e.g. capacitors) have a finite lifespan, and typically their ability to handle a given load decreases with age.

Don't know where you're getting £48 from, it's only £35, assuming you're referring to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cooler-M...311960?hash=item21623131d8:g:8I0AAOSw6nhcXE3Y

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
Why ask for advice if you're just going to ignore what everyone tells you?

That PSU you found on eBay is mediocre at best, and that's when it's new. That unit is used with seemingly no indication of how long it's been used. Components in the PSU (e.g. capacitors) have a finite lifespan, and typically their ability to handle a given load decreases with age.

Don't know where you're getting £48 from, it's only £35, assuming you're referring to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cooler-M...311960?hash=item21623131d8:g:8I0AAOSw6nhcXE3Y

Because when i ever see a mesaage about powersupplys every person is saying their all garbage psu assuming their from top suppliers with 80+ effciancy. Every one just says go for the top psu like the cx600. The psu that the person wants is gonna blow up and things like that. All these recommendations are powersupplys worth £70 which is OVERPRICED

Overpriced? The PSUs cost more because way more quality goes into them.

You get what you pay for! Low price = low quality.

A low cost PSU is not at all inexpensive if it fails and kills expensive hardware in your system.

Btw, the cx600 is not a top tier unit at all. It is a very old crap unit.

If you are reffering to the cx650, a much better psu, it performs well and reliably for the $, hence the reccomendation.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
Overpriced? The PSUs cost more because way more quality goes into them.

You get what you pay for! Low price = low quality.

A low cost PSU is not at all inexpensive if it fails and kills expensive hardware in your system.

Btw, the cx600 is not a top tier unit at all. It is a very old crap unit.

If you are reffering to the cx650, a much better psu, it performs well and reliably for the $, hence the reccomendation.

So u sayin the cx500 is a bad unit. My brother is using the cx550 right now with his gtx1070ti and i5 8400 its absolutly perfect. Shows u know nothing. Plus the cx650 is overkill for a gtx 670 m8

So u sayin the cx500 is a bad unit. My brother is using the cx550 right now with his gtx1070ti and i5 8400 its absolutly perfect. Shows u know nothing. Plus the cx650 is overkill for a gtx 670 m8
Do not be rude to the people giving you free advice, especially don't tell them they know nothing while providing factually incorrect information on the topic in the same sentence.

The Corsair CX500 is not the same as CX550. I hate to burst your very apparent ego.

Explanation:

The CX500/m came out in 2012. The Corsair CX550 came out in 2017 and is a completely different PSU internally. Personally I think Corsair should have done some extra name changing, to avoid confusion.

The newer CX550 is LLC resonant with dc-dc with independently regulated rails. It is also 80+ silver but marketed as bronze for segmentation reasons. 5 year warranty. The CX550 has a 40c temp rating aswell, which is ok for a budget unit.

The CX500 and CX500m are kind of garbage. Group regulated, double forward, no DC-DC, mediocre 30c temp rating, and lacks intel c6/c7 sleep state support. 3 year warranty. They are at least 80+ bronze, but still less efficient than the new CX.

And this is all just in the design of the PSU. I'm not even going to touch on the difference in quality components between the new and old.

As bad as the CX500 is, the VS450 orange is worse yet and the Cooler master linked is about the same, hence why I told you
Certainly an old vs 450 orange is not enough for a gtx670.
The VS450 is notorious for partially or completely failing.
Here is a VS450 failing while powering a gtx660ti, an easier card to power than a GTX670.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeXsATzwGh4

Some info is pulled from my head, especially about the newer CX. Much came from this table.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i6gYAlEEB8Wpbr4E3jY3ctuYvNR5SiuokzPLb5WiQlw/edit#gid=0

I am far from an expert, but most people would say the same as I do on this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
cx500 and cx550 are not the same thing, and, being Corsair models, are certainly not the same as the CoolerMaster you mentioned earlier.

Why did you come here for advice if you did not want to hear anything that disagreed with your preconceived notions?

You have been given advice, and you take it as if it's some kind of personal affront.

Get whatever power supply you feel like. You asked for advice, then copped an attitude when you got that advice. It's YOUR hardware at risk, not ours.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
Do not be rude to the people giving you free advice, especially don't tell them they know nothing while providing factually incorrect information on the topic in the same sentence.

The Corsair CX500 is not the same as CX550. I hate to burst your very apparent ego.

Explanation:

The CX500/m came out in 2012. The Corsair CX550 came out in 2017 and is a completely different PSU internally. Personally I think Corsair should have done some extra name changing, to avoid confusion.

The newer CX550 is LLC resonant with dc-dc with independently regulated rails. It is also 80+ silver but marketed as bronze for segmentation reasons. 5 year warranty. The CX550 has a 40c temp rating aswell, which is ok for a budget unit.

The CX500 and CX500m are kind of garbage. Group regulated, double forward, no DC-DC, mediocre 30c temp rating, and lacks intel c6/c7 sleep state support. 3 year warranty. They are at least 80+ bronze, but still less efficient than the new CX.

And this is all just in the design of the PSU. I'm not even going to touch on the difference in quality components between the new and old.

As bad as the CX500 is, the VS450 orange is worse yet and the Cooler master linked is about the same, hence why I told you

The VS450 is notorious for partially or completely failing.
Here is a VS450 failing while powering a gtx660ti, an easier card to power than a GTX670.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeXsATzwGh4

Some info is pulled from my head, especially about the newer CX. Much came from this table.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i6gYAlEEB8Wpbr4E3jY3ctuYvNR5SiuokzPLb5WiQlw/edit#gid=0

I am far from an expert, but most people would say the same as I do on this topic.

Alright stupid corsair make a 50watt more psu than their 5 year psu after 5 years idiots make it like it wasmade 2 day after the 500. I didnt know the reales diffrence. However i thi k i shud go for the cx500 as nvidia recommends 500w for gtx 670. Plus its 80+ i am on extreme budget like literally i cannot buy a psu out the box for £60 thats why i need second hand. Is this a good choice. I certantly cannot waste another £10 on a 50w more psu when nvidia recommends 500w

Last edited:

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
Its better than your VS, for sure. Would i recommend it? NO.

Can you find a one of these used? Its only 50 pounds new.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze

Lol i got the message i expected. Whenever i check someones asking if this psu is good for this gpu. They alaways recommend them some next level psu 10x more powerfull and uneccesary for their gpu plus out their budget. If nvidia recommends 500w i think its good enough. I am not planning on any overcloking i just wana play some games.

There is a reason for them recommending other PSUs than what you are proposing buying. You should start to realize, cheap used PSUs are not something most would recommend for a card like a 670.

A CX500 wouldn't bee good enough new for longevity, let alone a used one that may have been hammered for years.

I have already explained. The old VS and CX are garbage. Even that S12ii is old, but reliable.

An s12/m12 is not overkill for anything these days and Its not very expensive either.

Sure nvidia may reccomend 500w, but can a cx500 reliably deliver the power needed to support that card? Maybe. Too many unknowns with used.

I would trust a new VS gery 550w more than a used green CX or orange VS. And i wouldn't ideally want to use a new VS, but it wouldn't be a fire hazzard at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.