Question Will corsair vs450 be enough for gtx 670

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
There is a reason for them recommending other PSUs than what you are proposing buying. You should start to realize, cheap used PSUs are not something most would recommend for a card like a 670.

A CX500 wouldn't bee good enough new for longevity, let alone a used one that may have been hammered for years.

I have already explained. The old VS and CX are garbage. Even that S12ii is old, but reliable.

An s12/m12 is not overkill for anything these days and Its not very expensive either.

Sure nvidia may reccomend 500w, but can a cx500 reliably deliver the power needed to support that card? Maybe. Too many unknowns with used.

I would trust a new VS gery 550w more than a used green CX or orange VS. And i wouldn't ideally want to use a new VS, but it wouldn't be a fire hazzard at least.
So is this good or no ebay item number 323777004175

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's not just about the total wattage, it's about how well/poorly made a PSU is. Their internal designs are different.

Example: I would readily use a 450W Seasonic Focus on your system, and have much more confidence in it than I would a CX500.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
It's not just about the total wattage, it's about how well/poorly made a PSU is. Their internal designs are different.

Example: I would readily use a 450W Seasonic Focus on your system, and have much more confidence in it than I would a CX500.

Lmao u this guy on youtube tried a gtx1080ti on a gigabyte 500w psu which was not even 80+ rated and ur telling me the cx500 isnt enough its 80+ eff. Here is the video
View: https://youtu.be/uLGGJTn768E

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Efficiency rating has nothing to do with build quality.
Wattage rating has nothing to do with build quality.
What you want to believe has nothing to do with build quality.

Again, if you're going to ask for advice, then maybe listen to people who know better than you do, particularly people who do serious analysis of the hardware. If you already made up your mind before you asked for advice, then save the attitude for someplace else, and don't ask questions to which you do not want the answers.

Thermaltake tr2 are ancient and very cheap.

At least the Corsair cx500 is 80+ certified and from a good brand.

Of the 2, Its the better pick. Deciding between the tr2 or cx500 is like picking between having a finger removed or having your whole arm cut off. Both are bad, but one is noticably worse.

Wattage is not all. Quality matters equally.
While you can use a cheap PSU like that tr2 or cx500, it may not work long. If it fails, don't be surprised if it kills the other hardware.

You should spend more on a PSU now rather than having to buy another PSU and other replacement hardware if your cheap PSU fails.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
Efficiency rating has nothing to do with build quality.
Wattage rating has nothing to do with build quality.
What you want to believe has nothing to do with build quality.

Again, if you're going to ask for advice, then maybe listen to people who know better than you do, particularly people who do serious analysis of the hardware. If you already made up your mind before you asked for advice, then save the attitude for someplace else, and don't ask questions to which you do not want the answers.

Lmao if a 1080ti can run on a 500w psu im sure a gtx 670 can defo. There are many people out there with cx500 iv seen on youtube using it with a gtx 670 they have no problem with it. im not a rich man and cant go for the best. Iv found a bargain cx500 for £25 i only got £18 in paypal this is why.

Lmao if a 1080ti can run on a 500w psu im sure a gtx 670 can defo
What you dont know is:

How long that system would last. Punishing a PSU with a card its not designed to power can cause it to fail, sometimes not long after its first used.

With a used PSU you don't know if someone has punished it with a hard load for many years and now is selling it to you on its last legs.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
What you dont know is:

How long that system would last. Punishing a PSU with a card its not designed to power can cause it to fail, sometimes not long after its first used.

With a used PSU you don't know if someone has punished it with a hard load for many years and now is selling it to you on its last legs.

If u tell me this psu is bad there is something wrong with you: here is the ebay link: 123910065194

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Shows u know nothing
Alright stupid corsair make a 50watt more psu than their 5 year psu after 5 years idiots make it like it wasmade 2 day after the 500. I
there is something wrong with you:

I'm seeing a pattern here, and its a pattern of not being very kind to people who are helping you in their free time, for FREE. Kindness and friendliness are compulsory here, if you continue to be insulting and abusive toward those helping you, not only will no one answer your question, your ability to ask them will also be removed. Consider this an advisement, next comes a warning.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
I'm seeing a pattern here, and its a pattern of not being very kind to people who are helping you in their free time, for FREE. Kindness and friendliness are compulsory here, if you continue to be insulting and abusive toward those helping you, not only will no one answer your question, your ability to ask them will also be removed. Consider this an advisement, next comes a warning.
That Antec is basically the SeaSonic listed above, but with 520w and not 620w.

Its way, way better than any of the PSUs you have linked before. It is dated and group regulated, but solid and reliable.

Ok thanks
I got a couple psu recommendations WHICH one do you recommend in this List tell me in order from good to bad.
Here are the ebay item numbers:
Thanks

The recommended for a 670 is 30A, 500W minimum total system power. Such requirements are stated conservatively wattage wise to account for varying degrees of PSU efficiency.
https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards-20

The best way to tell if the PSU you have is up to the task is to look at it's amp rating, then look at review tests to see what max wattage it can maintain under load. The VS450 outputs 34 amps, and combined with it's relatively meager 80 Plus efficiency (white rated), is not what I would advise.

I would suggest going for something more substantial. The VS450 might get you by for the most part, but on long gaming sessions playing demanding games, it could start stressing enough to throttle your GPU, or even worse eventually.

Just a heads up, the Riotoro Enigma series is very well priced and basically a rebranded SeaSonic Focus Gold. They have 10 yr warranties and start at 650W for $70. They have authorized etailers in UK too. There are 4 authorized locations in the UK that sell Riotoro, 2 of them have the Enigma G2 650W in stock. CCLOnline sells it for 67 GBP (includes VAT).

https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...-Gold-Fully-Modular-ATX-Power-Supply/PSU1500/

The other is Spire, but they require a login to see the price.

https://www.riotoro.com/products/enigma-g2-650w-atx-power-supply-1

It's really not a good idea to go cheap on a PSU, but it's really hard to find one like the one I linked at such a price too.

Last edited:

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
The recommended for a 670 is 30A, 500W minimum total system power. Such requirements are stated conservatively wattage wise to account for varying degrees of PSU efficiency.
https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards-20

The best way to tell if the PSU you have is up to the task is to look at it's amp rating, then look at review tests to see what max wattage it can maintain under load. The VS450 outputs 34 amps, and combined with it's relatively meager 80 Plus efficiency (white rated), is not what I would advise.

I would suggest going for something more substantial. The VS450 might get you by for the most part, but on long gaming sessions playing demanding games, it could start stressing enough to throttle your GPU, or even worse eventually.

Just a heads up, the Riotoro Enigma series is very well priced and basically a rebranded SeaSonic Focus Gold. They have 10 yr warranties and start at 650W for $70. I'm pretty sure they ship to UK too, as their site says Europe and Brazil for locations.

https://www.riotoro.com/products/enigma-g2-650w-atx-power-supply-1

It's really not a good idea to go cheap on a PSU, but it's really hard to find one like the one I linked at such a price too.

I got a couple psu recommendations WHICH one do you recommend in this List tell me in order from good to bad.
Thanks

Thanks
I strongly suggest NOT using a site like eBay for a used PSU. Reason being you have no idea how hard it's been used, if it works at all, or if ebay will back you on a claim if it doesn't.

What is your max budget on this? 67 GBP on the rebranded SeaSonic Focus Gold with a 10 yr warranty I linked to above (CCLOnline.com) is nothing to sneeze at price wise. Plus VAT is included.

Lmao if a 1080ti can run on a 500w psu im sure a gtx 670 can defo.
And YouTube is not exactly a trustworthy site to get accurate info from. Many if not most of the people posting vids like that do it for hit points. They are preying on the naive in telling them what they want to hear to boost their channel value.

The average guy that doesn't have much to spend also has little to no experience building PCs, or knowing what parts work and what don't. It also matters a lot what games you're playing, how long your sessions are, and the ambient temps.

Those of us whom have experience with such things tend to error on the side of caution, not whims. The reality is a 1080 Ti requires 600W and 35A MINIMUM total system power. You can believe all you want that isn't true based on one YouTube video that doesn't put it through a lengthy stress test, but eventually that kind of thinking is going to catch up to you.

There are TONS of gamers whom cling to YT to get their info, believing they can get by with mediocre PSUs, not even knowing things like low efficiency can lead to throttling, which can result in choppy gameplay. That's straight from Jon Gerow, the guy that founded jonnyGURU, and now the head of R&D at Corsair. jonnyGURU is the foremost trusted site for PSU reviews, because they test them very thoroughly and know a lot about them. Jon Gerow also still writes for them.

It really comes down to whether you want to do your building/playing right, or half ass it not knowing whether your parts are going to slowly die from a weak PSU, or yield choppy gameplay. These are among the type of reasons you see tons of new builders come right back to forums like this after cobbling something together on the cheap. Again, a PSU is not something you want to cheap out on. It's one of the most taken for granted parts in a gaming build. A good one is also a good investment, as they can often last through many upgrades, vs buying 2 or 3 cheap ones.

Last edited:

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
I strongly suggest NOT using a site like eBay for a used PSU. Reason being you have no idea how hard it's been used, if it works at all, or if ebay will back you on a claim if it doesn't.

What is your max budget on this? 67 GBP on the rebranded SeaSonic Focus Gold with a 10 yr warranty I linked to above (CCLOnline.com) is nothing to sneeze at price wise. Plus VAT is included.

And YouTube is not exactly a trustworthy site to get accurate info from. Many if not most of the people posting vids like that do it for hit points. They are preying on the naive in telling them what they want to hear to boost their channel value.

The average guy that doesn't have much to spend also has little to no experience building PCs, or knowing what parts work and what don't. It also matters a lot what games you're playing, how long your sessions are, and the ambient temps.

Those of us whom have experience with such things tend to error on the side of caution, not whims. The reality is a 1080 Ti requires 600W and 35A MINIMUM total system power. You can believe all you want that isn't true based on one YouTube video that doesn't put it through a lengthy stress test, but eventually that kind of thinking is going to catch up to you.

There are TONS of gamers whom cling to YT to get their info, believing they can get by with mediocre PSUs, not even knowing things like low efficiency can lead to throttling, which can result in choppy gameplay. That's straight from Jon Gerow, the guy that founded jonnyGURU, and now the head of R&D at Corsair. jonnyGURU is the foremost trusted site for PSU reviews, because they test them very thoroughly and know a lot about them. Jon Gerow also still writes for them.

It really comes down to whether you want to do your building/playing right, or half ass it not knowing whether your parts are going to slowly die from a weak PSU, or yield choppy gameplay. These are among the type of reasons you see tons of new builders come right back to forums like this after cobbling something together on the cheap. Again, a PSU is not something you want to cheap out on. It's one of the most taken for granted parts in a gaming build. A good one is also a good investment, as they can often last through many upgrades, vs buying 2 or 3 cheap ones.

Do you know that these psus have 11 year life span 100,000hours so its ok if the psu is 1 year old or even 2

Do you know that these psus have 11 year life span 100,000hours
Source?

I have seen PSUs die within months or a few years here.

I have a PSU That is probably 12 years old at least, and i bought it used for the price of a cheap dinner. Works for all i need it for, powering a HDD and nothing else.

However, I have seen PSUs arrive dead, catch on fire and smoke, kill other hardware, and more. Especially when loaded with a gaming GPU.

I would personally avoid used PSUs to handle a 670, but as you do not have the budget for new, used will have to do. Of the PSUs you linked, the Seasonic is the only suitable one.

King084

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
So its
Source?

I have seen PSUs die within months or a few years here.

I have a PSU That is probably 12 years old at least, and i bought it used for the price of a cheap dinner. Works for all i need it for, powering a HDD and nothing else.

However, I have seen PSUs arrive dead, catch on fire and smoke, kill other hardware, and more. Especially when loaded with a gaming GPU.

I would personally avoid used PSUs to handle a 670, but as you do not have the budget for new, used will have to do. Of the PSUs you linked, the Seasonic is the only suitable one.
are these antec a good psu
Ebay item bumber

Status
Not open for further replies.