[SOLVED] Will CPU be stable if only 4 pins used in 2x4 ATX 12V Power Connector

Oct 13, 2019
Hi,

Got a ITX motherboard (gigabyte x570 aorus) and I made a mistake of connecting just 4 pin CPU power cable to ATX 2x4 12V Power Connector.

Is that safe for the CPU or should use 2x4 instead?

Its a nightmare to remove wraith prism cooler for an itx motherboard, I hope I wont have to do it lol

Solution
You forgot to mention the most important piece of information for your question, the type of CPU you have. For lower end CPUs like the 3600, yes you could get away with using just 4-Pins, but for higher end chips like the 3900X, all 8 pins are necessary for optimal performance and stability. Especially with ITX boards it's best to plug in all pins since they don't use the best VRM's to manage electrical flow since they need to compromise on available motherboard space for other components.
You forgot to mention the most important piece of information for your question, the type of CPU you have. For lower end CPUs like the 3600, yes you could get away with using just 4-Pins, but for higher end chips like the 3900X, all 8 pins are necessary for optimal performance and stability. Especially with ITX boards it's best to plug in all pins since they don't use the best VRM's to manage electrical flow since they need to compromise on available motherboard space for other components.

Reactions: someguywithapc2019
Solution

TRENDING THREADS