Question Will crypto mining permanently affect the price and availability of all future graphics cards?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Will crpytocurrency mining permanently affect the price and availability of all graphics cards, now, and in the future?

The RTX 4000, 5000, 6000, and beyond, will be cost many thousands of dollars, and will be nearly impossible to purchase anywhere?

This sounds extremely cruel and unfair to people who need these devices for purposes other than mining electronic currency.

Also, how does using massive computing power to solve math problems constitute the generation of money?

Sep 14, 2021
Competition. The single biggest influence on new sales when the market is flooded. Ppl won't spend $1500 for a 4080 when they can get a second hand 3090 for less than half that. And you can bet that if Asus puts up a 4070 for $800, msi or Gigabyte or both will have equitable grade gpu for less.

A fine paraphrasing of the market inevitably focusing energy on areas where higher than normal opportunities to profit exist. I am waiting like everyone else, and instead of buying GPU(s) I bought DDR4 RAM, which was cheaper than 8months ago finally. I felt uneasy about spending more for the same RAM after time passed, Moore's law or whatever is left of it guiding my instincts...

I am also taking the time to improve my cooling system, both water and air heatpipes&fine suck IMO! Water cooling only uses 1 phase, takes huge turnover, the right microscopic skived fins, etc. (No thanks!) So I built a propane thermal cycle that cools the RYZEN 3970x & Nvidia Quadro rtx 4000 to -30°C under full mining load, CPU same load for benchmark, if I tried that with noctua inukshuk on the CPU, I would sure smell that acrid black smoke of death and try to do some art school tricks post mortem, to make the deceased presentable for RMA! 😂 LOL!

NOT suggesting my project to all of you, but suggesting some kind of computer improvement, to take your mind off what is the wrong time to buy awesome sparkling fast AF new gorgeousness that will make you cool forever and improve every aspect of your reality. [Sorry, couldn't resist. Me too, aaaaargh!]

Don't look to crypto crashes to save the day, many miners will instinctually double down, buy more equipment if prices fall. They all made heaps of cash. The non-mining cards provide a delicious target to the industrious hardware hacker, perhaps looking for a way to pay for college without pole dancing or waitressing... Find a way to mine on those... Cha-ching!!! So sitrep looks as joyous as a CIA secret prison. Any ideas? Maybe just make some fast $$$ and buy it anyway, 3 of them even.

When mining crashes, you go from a sellers market, to a buyers market and thats an entirely different situation. Vendors won't be setting unreasonable prices or they won't sell their cards in any meaningful volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.