Will CX600 will be enough?

Exuz

Honorable
May 12, 2014
Hey guys! I'm building a PC and i already have
Power supply Corsair CX600 ATX2.3 and a Corsair Midi Tower Graphite 230T case. My question would be if it would be ok to use
Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 280X OC
Asus H87M-Pro
DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Black 8GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Intel® Core™ i5-4670K 3.4GHz 6MB
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB
Couple of CORSAIR LED Fan AF120-LED
Some random DVD-ROM and some crappy 1TB Hard Drive with this power supply i have? Would it be sufficient?

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Yes, that'd be sufficient for your system. People here will tell you to ditch the CX series as they are not as reliable as Corsairs other series, but if your budget is where you like it don't worry about swapping to another PSU--the CX is good enough.

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
That's completely untrue and unfounded damric--it doesn't hurt your performance at all. If anything, it may fail before a nice PSU, but it's certainly not going to hold OP's components back.

I'm getting tired of the PSU snobbery on these forums...

OP, that model PSU has been reviewed and confirmed capable of delivering up to and over 600w which is the manufacturer specification for the 280X--regardless of its factory overclock it will most certainly work with that PSU.

The power supply calculator with your parts plugged in and a 90% CPU utilization gives me 407w as your recommended PSU--so 600w is more than enough.

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
I am not a Corsair fanboy, hell I use Thermaltake PSUs which is a huge no-no on this forum, and I'm the brainwashed one?

The CX600 has a 4 egg rating on Newegg and a 4.5 star rating on Amazon--if they were blowing up and frying computers left and right they wouldn't have such high ratings.

Again, PSU snobbery.

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
"Based on a mainstream CWT infrastucture the Corsair CX600 PSU really is a nice product for the money. We can't detect any flaws, high noises or voltage peaks/dips, even when it is close to full load." - Guru3D

"To wrap up, the CX600 offers good performance, modular cables that are flat and stealth, and is backed up by Corsair's excellent support. The CX600 is, if you can live with only having two PCIe connectors, a very good deal, as clearly shown on our performance-per-dollar graph. Based on the latter, I give to this unit our budget award." - TechPowerUP

I've worked on many a PC where XFX and Seasonic PSUs have failed too, they're not infallible.

Capstone is a budget PSU, and much higher quality than a CX.

Perhaps you are mad that you failed to reach 5GHz with your CPU, and now you focus your hate on quality parts? I would be embarrassed to put that in my signature. Is that snobby enough?

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
You got me--I'm super pissed that my 8 core only hit 4.8GHz while your 4 core went a few hundred MHz higher...

My point is do the research, read reviews, and don't just regurgitate the same tired shit that floats around these forums. Corsair CX's are plenty decent enough, and the evidence is there to back me up.

Also, I'm pretty damn sure you are not a PC tech with the extremely immature behavior you're exhibiting--attacking my overclock, really dude?

mr91

Distinguished

I agree with Damric, The CX 600 is not good for a gaming system.

I had the cx 600 and upgraded to a Ax 860i and I noticed that My Pc was more stable and noticed a performance increase.

The CX series is good for light gaming and a hd video streaming on a home or office pc however I wouldn't use it with my 780 ti when playing crisis maxed out for a few hours.

The Corsair TX series would be entry level for hardcore gaming in my opinion.

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
That's because you were using the bare minimum PSU requirements listed by Nvidia for the 780 Ti which is 600w, if you had any overclock at all on your CPU or GPU then yeah you're going to see stability issues, but not because the PSU is cheap--you're just over-taxing it.

The fact remains that the CX600 is very well-reviewed both professionally and independently by users and a great budget PSU. Read the thousands of online reviews for it if you don't believe me.

Plus OP already has the PSU, meaning he's not going to buy another one. That's not even what the thread was about--it was about whether or not 600w is enough to drive his components which it most certainly is.

mr91

Distinguished
The cx 600 wan't that great with my gtx 670 or gtx 780, I had to give back the first one because the fan wasn't working.

The CX 600 is one of the best psu's in it's price range and it certainly will drive his setup however it's like putting regular fuel in a Mercedes in my opinion.

I agree with damric's analogy.

I've read the reviews used and recommended these psu's - Do you own a cx series psu?

The cx series PSU will power the OP's system without a doubt however it's not ideal.

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
The only time, and I repeat ONLY TIME, you'd see more performance from a better power supply is if your current power supply wasn't delivering enough power to your components so the "regular fuel in a Mercedes" and "ethanol in a sports car" analogies simply do not apply here.

That's just product bias talking unfortunately.

I do however agree with your last statement that it will power OP's system but may not be ideal as it is a no-frills budget oriented PSU.

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014

Then there was something wrong with either your PSU or your RAM wanted too much power--it's simply not possible for a PSU to increase the speed of components UNLESS it wasn't delivering the nominal voltages in the first place, i.e. defective.

mr91

Distinguished

That was an analogy there are many reasons a lower end power supply isn't ideal.

The cx is less efficient and has lower quality caps and electrical components and the power delivery is not as stable.

mr91

Distinguished

Nothing is wrong I did the extensive testing, my Ram score with my current psu is 7.8 & 7.6 with the cx and other cheap power supplies.

Wrong. It's obvious you have never touched an o-scope. Your Electronics knowledge seems more apt for Best Buy.

Crap PSUs have more ripple, less tight regulation, and slower hold-up times, and all of these affect performance. The CX in particular has junk capacitors that causes sub-par hold up time and it is mentioned in every review you listed, you just conveniently left that out.

mr91

Distinguished
Damric has strong technical knowledge and has the patience to explain how things work.

If the three of us were in a lab, I'm sure Darmic and I could demonstrate the advantages.

Hands on experience is very important and not all the review sites are great like Tomshardware.

Sometimes to get the most out of reviews you need read in between the lines...

A platinum PSU with high end Japanese Caps and low ripple will perform better than a low end PSU this is known in the technical community.