[SOLVED] Will DDR4 3600 work with X570/Ryzen 5 2600 combo?

Nov 7, 2020
Hi, it's been 10+ years since I have build my last desktop and I need some help with my memory choice please.
My setup as follow

MB: X570 Aorus Elite Wi-Fi (DDR 4 3600 (O.C.) supported per MFG website)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (MFG states up to DDR4 2933 supported), this is just to hold me over until the 5000 series supply becomes stable
Memory: S.Skill Ripjaw V 16GB DDR4 3600, CAS latency 19

I picked up this memory primarily because it was on sale, same price as DDR4 3200. The high latency time somewhat bothers me but again I don't plan on doing anything cutting edge. Upon further research I am now uncertain if I should keep this or exchange it for DDR4 3200 with lower latency, mostly because I am uncertain about the compatibility of DDR4 3600 with my MB/CPU combo. Can anyone tell me aside from the high latency, would the current setup work? Is there any benefit or drawback using DDR4 3600 with my MB/CPU combo? Is it just going to run at 2933MHz instead of 3600MHz and still with the slow 19 latency? What actually happens when pairing higher MHz memory with CPU only supporting lower memory MHz? Thanks

Solution
Swap it.

Rysens use infinity fabric to communicate between cores. Some of those settings are based on the rams data rate. For the 2000 series, to maintain a 1:1 ratio in those settings you'll need to use ram lower than 3466MHz. Above that and the infinity fabric switches to a 2:1 ratio in some of those settings, which will slow down communications.

On top of that, C19 is slow to begin with. A 3200MHz C16 is somewhat faster than a 3600MHz C19, which is why it was so cheap.

Motherboards don't care about ram speeds. Only the cpu does. So when the advertising says a mobo uses upto a certain speed, that's because that's the speeds the cpu that socket supports can use, upto the fastest available at the time. Currently, ram speeds go upto...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Swap it.

Rysens use infinity fabric to communicate between cores. Some of those settings are based on the rams data rate. For the 2000 series, to maintain a 1:1 ratio in those settings you'll need to use ram lower than 3466MHz. Above that and the infinity fabric switches to a 2:1 ratio in some of those settings, which will slow down communications.

On top of that, C19 is slow to begin with. A 3200MHz C16 is somewhat faster than a 3600MHz C19, which is why it was so cheap.

Motherboards don't care about ram speeds. Only the cpu does. So when the advertising says a mobo uses upto a certain speed, that's because that's the speeds the cpu that socket supports can use, upto the fastest available at the time. Currently, ram speeds go upto 5000MHz, but that's long after the X570 was introduced.

And it's rare to see full line updates to stats.

Last edited:
Solution