[SOLVED] Will downclocking my gpu be safe for my pc/psu?

jessedays

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
I had a swap for 1070 to a 2070 super, but I only have a 330w psu and I can't upgrade atm, so will my pc be fine if I limit the power of the card on msi afterburner? If so, how much should I limit it by?

Solution
I think you should wait before using it and buy a better psu, as the 2070 super has a 215 tdp which will also be + cpu ram (not alot but still) and drives (again not alot). But to your question it is safe just don't downclock too much, you'll have to test which clock will be the most stable.

RealSmoke

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
I think you should wait before using it and buy a better psu, as the 2070 super has a 215 tdp which will also be + cpu ram (not alot but still) and drives (again not alot). But to your question it is safe just don't downclock too much, you'll have to test which clock will be the most stable.

Reactions: jessedays
Solution

jessedays

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019

Thanks I'll wait it out, not trying to destroy my gear.

Thanks I'll wait it out, not trying to destroy my gear.
I don't know how underclocking could harm it at all... it should help it, actually, as it reduces electrical and thermal stress on all the components. It will just be slower.

But if you're underclocking you might also (or instead) consider undervolting as even small reductions in the voltage curve can bring about fairly large power reductions. Although you'll have to worry about stability if you go too far it also can't harm the hardware (still reducing electrical and thermal stress) but when successful you can bring down power while still retaining performance.

Reactions: jessedays