Question Will downgrading BIOS cause problems?

Nov 8, 2022
Turns out MSI messed up and uploaded a beta BIOS and I updated to it. Will downgrading my bios to a previous version be a problem?

To confirm there should be no issue with downgrading?

I updated bios in hope the new bios would fix no sleep with xmp enabled, which is an ongoing issue for am5 builds

BETA doesn't mean it's bad and there is no good reason to go back if you're not experiencing problems with it. If anything, you're more likely to re-introduce the problems the BIOS was released to fix in addition to still failing to help with going into sleep (which is a common Windows problem anyway).

Separately: I thought AM5 uses RAMP instead of XMP. It's not just a name change, RAMP uses DDR5 profiles peculiar to AMD's 7000 series processors therefore more likely to offer better compatibility.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022
Downgrading won't be a problem, but for AMD platforms, if the BIOS update includes an AGESA update, that's a road block as you usually can't roll back AGESA versions.

The BIOS notes should say if it contains an AGESA update.
Actually yes, the latest beta bios I'm using contained 1.0.0.4 AGESA, does this mean I shouldn't downgrade bios? what would be the issue?

Actually yes, the latest beta bios I'm using contained 1.0.0.4 AGESA, does this mean I shouldn't downgrade bios? what would be the issue?
In your case, it might be adviseable to downgrade back to a version with 1.0.0.3 AGESA. At least until AMD and board partners have resolved issues with it. I'd expect to see a 1.0.0.4a (at least) or 1.0.0.5 AGESA in a new BIOS once it's ready.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022
In your case, it might be adviseable to downgrade back to a version with 1.0.0.3 AGESA. At least until AMD and board partners have resolved issues with it. I'd expect to see a 1.0.0.4a (at least) or 1.0.0.5 AGESA in a new BIOS once it's ready.

Would there be a problem downgrading my bios after AGESA update? The previous reply mentioned about not rolling back after AGESA updates

Would there be a problem downgrading my bios after AGESA update? The previous reply mentioned about not rolling back after AGESA updates
All you can do is try...

My suggestion is to do a CMOS reset first, then do the downgrade from within BIOS using the BIOS update screens first. Of course, be sure to follow instructions in your manual and have the BIOS file extracted from the archive and named correctly. Afterwords, do another CMOS reset before trying to make any settings changes.

If it refuses to down-grade then contact MSI's tech support for assistance since they they seem to have acknowledged there is a problem, based on that article at least. The board is doubtless under warranty so the worst case scenario is you'll have to disassemble the system to send it back so their techs can do the update. If that's not acceptable you'll have to wait until they come out with a new BIOS with fixed AGESA.

Nov 8, 2022
All you can do is try...

My suggestion is to do a CMOS reset first, then do the downgrade from within BIOS using the BIOS update screens first. Of course, be sure to follow instructions in your manual and have the BIOS file extracted from the archive and named correctly. Afterwords, do another CMOS reset before trying to make any settings changes.

If it refuses to down-grade then contact MSI's tech support for assistance since they they seem to have acknowledged there is a problem, based on that article at least. The board is doubtless under warranty so the worst case scenario is you'll have to disassemble the system to send it back so their techs can do the update. If that's not acceptable you'll have to wait until they come out with a new BIOS with fixed AGESA.
I was able to downgrade to the previous BIOS version successfully. I should be good now, right? Could there be any information from the AEGSA 1.0.0.4 BIOS left in my downgraded version of BIOS?

I was able to downgrade to the previous BIOS version successfully. I should be good now, right? Could there be any information from the AEGSA 1.0.0.4 BIOS left in my downgraded version of BIOS?
I seriously doubt that any of the old BIOS remains. But then I can't be certain since some BIOS updates (or downgrades in your case) change only the BIOS blocks that are affected. But that also means blocks that are not downgraded (if any) did not have changes so it wouldn't matter.