Will dual 1080 sli be able to max out at 1440p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
Hello everyone I apologize for my bad attitude in my previous questions I was just frustrated but anyway I have a new build coming up and it's gonna have dual gpu's in sli with custom loop watercooling now my question is will dual 1080's be able to max out games at 1440p and still achieve 144 dreams? I disable anti aliasing, depth of field and motion blur on every game but everything else I enable would dual 1080's he able to handle it or should I bump it up to the ti versions? Thanks!

Solution
If you really want to go the dual GPU route, I'll already assume that you've checked SLI compatibility against the list of games you play and you are happy that it'll be worthwhile in terms of support.

Something you need to consider is SLI scalability. Even when SLI is supported, if the scaling is less than 50% (for example) then you might not hit that consistent 144fps. At this point I'd say you have a few options...

1. Get dual 1080Ti's
2. Get a G-Sync compatible display
3. Lower graphics settings a little bit more than normal
4. A combination of the above

It's a tough ask in the more demanding games, even for dual 1080s - as you are looking to get 144 fps as a minimum, not as an average.
There are GTX 1080/1440p SLI benchmarks...

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
SLI/Crossfire will bring problems. It is a better idea to start with a single, powerful card, and swap it out for a better one when you need to upgrade.

It depends on the games you play. Read reviews of the video card and they should include benchmarks within games.

Also, what CPU are you using?

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

What kind of problems? And I'll be using the 6900k

Not all games support sli, in that scenario you only use 1 card.
Of the games that support sli some do it poorly, now that can be you only see very small gains of the second card but it can be you suffer issues like micro stutter.

Some games do work well and you can see a 60% or more improvement over a single card.

Sli & crossfire support is getting less and less. It's expensive for developers to build into a game and then support for ultimately a very small number of users. Personally I would have picked a single 1080Ti.

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

I've heard many people say that but I've also heard an equal amount of people say the opposite plus no offence but that doesn't really answer my question

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

I play a wide variety of games far cry 4 battlefield 4 mass effect and everything in between plus quite a few emulated wii and ps2 games

If you really want to go the dual GPU route, I'll already assume that you've checked SLI compatibility against the list of games you play and you are happy that it'll be worthwhile in terms of support.

Something you need to consider is SLI scalability. Even when SLI is supported, if the scaling is less than 50% (for example) then you might not hit that consistent 144fps. At this point I'd say you have a few options...

1. Get dual 1080Ti's
2. Get a G-Sync compatible display
3. Lower graphics settings a little bit more than normal
4. A combination of the above

It's a tough ask in the more demanding games, even for dual 1080s - as you are looking to get 144 fps as a minimum, not as an average.
There are GTX 1080/1440p SLI benchmarks with 1% lows/minimum fps online that'll give you an idea of what you are up against.

Additionally, if you look for the minimum fps/1% lows of the GTX 1080 in games at 1440p, then try and find the % scaling observed by users online, you can work it out from there.

I'm running OC-ed bios modded dual R9 Furys with a 144Hz 1440p Freesync display. I cannot get a locked 144fps in all games either, because of Crossfire scaling or the games are just too demanding at Ultra. You will get closer with the 1080's ofc, but a G-Sync monitor is a great way of ensuring smoothness when you get those inevitable drops below 144fps.

Solution

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Thanks for the reply your the first person who actually answered my question yes I know dual gpu support varies quite a lot and based on what you said it looks like the ti versions are the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.