[SOLVED] Will dual channel work in my case?

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
Hello,
I have an HP ProBook 450 G5 (Intel i7-8550u version). Currently it has 8GB of RAM using a single SK Hynix stick: HMA81GS6MFR8N-UH.
I know the motherboard supports dual channel. But does this RAM stick support it? If I get the exact same stick will it work?
Another problem: I found an identical stick from SK Hynix in terms of specifications (Exactly the same), just a little difference in the model name: It's called HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH (using A instead of M).

So if I get the A version and plug it with my M version, and assuming it does support dual-channel, will it work? And what's the difference between A and M if they're identical?

Also, since these sticks are OEM, I can only find them used on eBay/Amazon (pulled from other machines). Am I safe purchasing them used?

Lastly, perhaps, instead of trying to get the original stick that came with the laptop, do you have a suggestion for another brand of 1x8GB stick that supports dual channel and will work with my RAM? (Or, in case mine doesn't support dual channel, a set of 2x8 GB)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
If you do indeed find the same stick of ram, then yes it'll work in dual channel mode for your rams. To add, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop prior to any hardware upgrades. If you can't find the same exact stick of ram, the next best thing you can do is buy a dual channel ram kit.

You should look through ram kits that are supported based off of this article.

That is, a 2x8GB DDR4-2400MHz laptop ram kit for dual channel.

Lutfij

Titan
If you do indeed find the same stick of ram, then yes it'll work in dual channel mode for your rams. To add, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop prior to any hardware upgrades. If you can't find the same exact stick of ram, the next best thing you can do is buy a dual channel ram kit.

Solution

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
Stop creating the same thread. You already have a thread that's running. Please be patient for answers from the community.
Sorry, it's just that after it was moved, I didn't see it so I thought it was deleted. But why it was moved to this forum? Isn't it more related to memory?

And what about the difference between HMA81GS6MFR8N-UH and HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH? Same brand, same specs, just a different letter.