Will Energizer batteries spoil my clock ?

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
Hey,

For the longest time, my father has been telling me to buy cheap 50¢ batteries for my clock, he says that Energizer batteries will spoil the clock. Ever since I started with PC hardware, I've been thinking about it. If the clock states 1.5v , and the battery states 1.5v , it should be perfectly fine. Energizer batteries should last longer right ?

Any other ideas ?

Solution
Any battery left too long in a clock, whether Energizer or a dollar store brand, has the potential to corrode & ruin the device. However, it usually takes a long time for batteries to corrode...as in months or years.

The question is how long the cheap batteries last compared to the Energizer batteries, & how much it costs per battery pack. If the Energizer batteries cost 3 times as much as the cheap ones, but last 6 times as long, then the Energizer is a much better deal.

And...to be honest... a battery-powered alarm clock is a cheap device, so if the batteries do somehow corrode & damage it, you can easily buy a new one.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Any battery left too long in a clock, whether Energizer or a dollar store brand, has the potential to corrode & ruin the device. However, it usually takes a long time for batteries to corrode...as in months or years.

The question is how long the cheap batteries last compared to the Energizer batteries, & how much it costs per battery pack. If the Energizer batteries cost 3 times as much as the cheap ones, but last 6 times as long, then the Energizer is a much better deal.

And...to be honest... a battery-powered alarm clock is a cheap device, so if the batteries do somehow corrode & damage it, you can easily buy a new one.

Solution