Question will everything be ok

shadi shtaklef

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 26, 2015
i am currently on windows 10 build 1809. i have an alienware 17 r5 laptop which has an intel uhd 630 graphics card and an nvidia gtx 1080 graphics card

a couple of months ago i updated my intel card driver and i installed version 26.20.100.6860 and it was released end of april 2019. some time later i noticed the version of the intel card driver had changed on its own and it became an old version which was released in 2018. the technician who put in a new hard disk in my laptop put for me the 2018 one when he installed windows for me, i updated it to the 2019 one and it went back to the 2018 one and again i had to put back the 2019 one

i did an investigation on why it went from 2019 to 2018 on its own. i saw that there was a green bar on all programs in the start menu and that green bar means that something new had been installed. i saw that it installed for me intel graphics command center under apps. after that i often used to see new things getting installed under apps like your phone, candy crush and so on and i found out that windows store was installing those apps for me

just now i got update and restart in my shutdown menu and that was weird because i already installed the august cumulative update. i restarted and then i checked what got installed. i found out that windows store installed for me intel graphics control panel under apps. i ran it and it said i dont have a screen which uses an intel graphics card. i uninstalled the intel graphics control panel under apps and i switched off auto update in windows store and then i restarted

i have a few questions to ask:-

1) will anything happen because i switched off auto update in windows store? i dont use those apps at all

2) why did intel graphics control center tell me that there is no intel card? is that because i am using version 26.20.100.6860 and the newest version is 26.20.100.7000 and it didnt detect my intel card because i am not using the newest version? intel graphics command center detected my card and it said that i am using version 26.20.100.6860

3) will anything happen because i uninstalled intel graphics control panel after it got installed?

4) is it ok if i dont update my intel card driver? it is annoying because intel releases a new driver every 2 weeks and i dont want to keep on updating my driver. i just update my nvidia driver

5) intel graphics command center said that the latest version is 26.20.100.6860. that is wrong and there are newer versions and it didnt detect them. is that because intel graphics command center is outdated and old version programs will not detect new drivers? like for example i have to keep on updating the intel update assistant so it detects new drivers and it wont detect new drivers if i dont update it

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Some answers and other observations:

1) Windows store related updates and Windows 10 updates are completely unrelated. It won't matter whether that's on or off.

2) I can't speak to why the Intel software is behaving that way. I have, repeatedly, recommended that those who have Intel components (any components) as part of their systems install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and keep it running. Intel has been, and will continue to be, churning out updates to both its drivers and related software directly to support ongoing changes in Windows 10 and for other reasons, and these are not being provided either to Microsoft or the computer OEMs in a timely manner. Your only hope of keeping up is by allowing Intel's on utility to keep you up to date.

3) Probably not. Can't be 100% certain, but it's not likely.

4) No. You always want your drivers to be up to date, particularly in the age of Windows As A Service.

You really should allow the feature update to Version 1903. If you've got the "Download and Install" link in your Update & Security Settings, Windows Update pane it means the hardware passes muster.

You, like everyone, should also have an external USB backup drive and be taking full system image backups and separate user data backups (the latter of which can use the built-in File History feature) at regular intervals. I cannot define, for anyone, how often that interval should be. For me, because I don't tend to be installing tons of software, doing scads of system reconfiguration, or creating tons of new files once a month for a full system image backup is quite sufficient. If I do happen to do a lot of work I wouldn't like to repeat then I take a separate "off-cycle, on-demand" system image backup. My user data backups are more frequent, usually, but not always.

In the age of Windows As A Service (and even before) having a recent system image from which you can restore, if necessary, is one of the basics of computer ownership and maintenance.

shadi shtaklef

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 26, 2015
thanks for your reply

as i mentioned intel keeps on updating things very frequently and i need to keep on upgrading the intel driver assistant. that is annoying. they keep on making minor changes in the drivers and sometimes those minor changes have bugs that cause issues. nvidia is better than intel and they release new drivers less frequently

i am happy using build 1809 for now. when i decide to use a new build i will take my laptop to an authorized service center and i will ask them to format and clean install that new build and then do thorough testing to make sure that there are no issues