will evga gtx 1060 work in dell percision 490 with PCIe 1.0

jmd515

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
ugrading my gpu. I have a dell percision 490 with 2 duel core xeon processors and PCIe1.0

Will a EVGA GTX 1060 6gb (which runs on PCIe 3.0) work? I know I'm going to at least take a performance hit, but hoping it will function.

I currently run a AMD Radeon 6850 1gb (PCIe 2.0) with no problems.

Solution

rather than an i7, Ryzen is the better bang in the buck imho
sure, the intel could give u more fps, at more cost though, lesser core too...

depending on what's the purpse of your rig [do you use it for anything else outside gaming? perhaps like editing, rendering, or streaming?the Ryzen could offer better price tag for you in this case]

if u don't really need those high fps mark [120++] the Ryzen is the better choice here, perhaps something like this would serve u well:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BGZGRG
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BGZGRG/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor...
it will function, as PCIe slot is backward compatible, there might be some performance impact, but won't be noticable in gaming performance [especially if u only use 1 monitor and mainstream resolution]

although the system are pretty old, it might bottleneck the GPU, and most games doesn't support 2 CPU as far as i know, so the game might gonna use 1 CPU instead of 2, resulting in even bigger bottleneck...
u should also check whether the PSU can handle the new GPU too :)

as for productivity work, the GPU should improve the performance too, but again, the CPU might be the one holding it back...

expect some performance difference :)

PS: this is from gaming perspective, as u don't specify the PC's purpose :)

jmd515

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Yeah it's for gaming. The power supply should be fine. I didn't know that about he cpu's though.

it's pretty old gen, + it's only dual core, as far as i know, even my GTX 1050ti got bottlenecked by a pentium [just giving the big picture here] because most games right now already starting to use more than 4 core, and with that new GPU, the CPU would be the main problem here :(

my suggestions:

if u're on a tight budget, buy the GPU, it's fine, it'll work, but don't expect it's maximum performance since the GPU will be bottlenecked, but there should be some massive improvement despite that bottleneck, stick with the rig till u can save up enough for a new PC

if u already had the budget, do replace em, it's much better that way :) since the build aren't fit for gaming to begin with [as games are not optimized for dual CPU build]

PS:
as it is a prebuilt, i'm a bit concerned with the PSU, would u mind checking the PSU wattage and the 12V rail [on the label] these should give me some insight on whether the PSU fit for the task or not :)

jmd515

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

750 watts Power Factor Correcting (PFC) power supply

well wattage wise it's good, wonder how about the 12V rail, as that's the one supplying to the GPU and CPU, can u tell me the 12V rail wattage?

mobo-wise, well even if it could, upgrading a PC that old aren't really good imo, u would be better off buying a new rig [of course if it's a GPU u can just use it later, so GPU upgrade is fine]

rather than an i7, Ryzen is the better bang in the buck imho
sure, the intel could give u more fps, at more cost though, lesser core too...

depending on what's the purpse of your rig [do you use it for anything else outside gaming? perhaps like editing, rendering, or streaming?the Ryzen could offer better price tag for you in this case]

if u don't really need those high fps mark [120++] the Ryzen is the better choice here, perhaps something like this would serve u well:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BGZGRG
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BGZGRG/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($193.67 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $418.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-02 12:17 EDT-0400

Solution