[SOLVED] Will extended use of Turbo Boost on i7-9700 hurt longevity of PC?

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
So my new computer is up and running and I went with an i7-9700 (not k) and have a question about Windows 10 turbo boost, power options and such.

At the moment, on the high performance power setting in Windows 10 I'm getting a constant (more or less) clock speed of 4.49 GHz. Temps and everything seem good. The fans seem pretty low and nothing on the hardware side seems stressed.

The thing is, the i7-9700 only has a base clock of 3.00 GHz but with turbo boost it can go up to 4.7 GHz (I think it's 4.49GHz for me due to the limitations of my motherboard.) Will running the computer constantly at the max CPU frequency hurt it in the long run? I mostly just keep it up and running throughout my day (no computer sleep) and shut it off at night when not in use with the displays set to shut off after 30 mins of no use.

Should I change my power settings to lower the max CPU frequency (aka balanced power plan) or can I just leave it on high performance? Will constantly running the CPU at it's max turbo boost speed hurt the processor over a long period of time? 3.0 GHz seems pretty low to me for a nice gaming rig, hence why I'm obsessed with 4.0+ GHz.

Solution
So my new computer is up and running and I went with an i7-9700 (not k) and have a question about Windows 10 turbo boost, power options and such.

At the moment, on the high performance power setting in Windows 10 I'm getting a constant (more or less) clock speed of 4.49 GHz. Temps and everything seem good. The fans seem pretty low and nothing on the hardware side seems stressed.

The thing is, the i7-9700 only has a base clock of 3.00 GHz but with turbo boost it can go up to 4.7 GHz (I think it's 4.49GHz for me due to the limitations of my motherboard.) Will running the computer constantly at the max CPU frequency hurt it in the long run? I mostly just keep it up and running throughout my day (no computer sleep) and shut it off...

The thing is, the i7-9700 only has a base clock of 3.00 GHz but with turbo boost it can go up to 4.7 GHz (I think it's 4.49GHz for me due to the limitations of my motherboard.) Will running the computer constantly at the max CPU frequency hurt it in the long run? I mostly just keep it up and running throughout my day (no computer sleep) and shut it off at night when not in use with the displays set to shut off after 30 mins of no use.

Should I change my power settings to lower the max CPU frequency (aka balanced power plan) or can I just leave it on high performance? Will constantly running the CPU at it's max turbo boost speed hurt the processor over a long period of time? 3.0 GHz seems pretty low to me for a nice gaming rig, hence why I'm obsessed with 4.0+ GHz.

If you continue using your system as is, no harm will come to the CPU. There are built in safety systems that will shut the system down should thermals be excessive. Turbo boost comes in when demand is high and temps are within the design envelope of the processor.
Heat is your adversary caused by excessive voltage on the core or inadequate cooling.

Stress test your system with AIDA64 to determine if the system is stable and that core voltage is not excessive.
Constantly monitor the system when under stress checking voltages and system temperatures with HWInfo64.

Solution